The payment plan allows students and families to pay amounts due to the university in manageable monthly installments and provides the convenience of enrolling and making payments online through Tuition Management Systems (TMS). Check, Automated Clearing House (ACH), and phone payments with a credit card are accepted. Credit card payments are subject to a non-refundable 2.99% convenience fee.
- Life insurance coverage for the bill payer's account.
- Families have the flexibility of reducing or increasing their semester budgets accordingly if a balance is due to the university or if there is a credit balance on the CMU student account.
- CMU will communicate to students/payers via email each semester if their TMS plan requires adjustment.
Important Notice to Students Receiving Financial Aid
Graduate students supported by their academic department also receiving financial aid in excess of their amount due to CMU should not enroll in TMS for the Health Insurance Plan, as health charges will be deducted from their financial aid.
- An Andrew User ID is required when using TMS. Your Andrew User ID is the prefix of your Carnegie Mellon email address. For example, andrewc2 is the Andrew User ID for firstname.lastname@example.org.
- TMS representatives do not have access to specific CMU student account information due to FERPA regulations*.
- The university only provides TMS with cost of attendance information.
- CMU receives TMS adjustment files every day. Changes made to a TMS budget plan will appear on the student's account within two business days.
For families who need assistance in developing an education payment strategy, TMS offers BorrowSmart, a debt minimization service. Free BorrowSmart planning and counseling is available via e-mail (email@example.com) or phone at 888-216-4269 Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. and Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. For specific TMS plan inquiries and assistance with budget adjustments, please contact TMS directly at 888-722-4867.
*Student account information can only be provided by CMU staff to students due to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974.