Monthly Payment Plan
The monthly payment plan allows students and families to pay amounts due to the university in manageable monthly installments and provides the convenience of enrolling and making payments online through Tuition Management Systems (TMS). Check, Automated Clearing House (ACH), and phone payments with a credit card are accepted. Credit card payments are subject to a non-refundable 2.99% convenience fee.
- Families have the flexibility of reducing or increasing their semester budgets accordingly if a balance is due to the university or if there is a credit balance on the CMU student account.
- CMU will communicate to students/payers via email each semester if their payment plan requires adjustment.
Notice to Students Receiving Financial Aid
Graduate students supported by their academic department also receiving financial aid in excess of their amount due to CMU should not enroll in the monthly payment plan for the Health Insurance Plan, as health charges will be deducted from their financial aid.
- An Andrew User ID is required when logging into the TMS website. Your Andrew User ID is the prefix of your Carnegie Mellon email address. For example, andrewc2 is the Andrew User ID for email@example.com.
- TMS representatives do not have access to specific CMU student account information due to FERPA regulations*.
- The university only provides TMS with cost of attendance information.
- CMU receives TMS adjustment files every day. Changes made to a payment plan will appear on the student's account within two business days.
For families who need assistance in developing an education payment strategy, TMS offers BorrowSmart, a debt minimization service. Free BorrowSmart planning and counseling is available via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or phone at 888-216-4269 Monday through Friday from8 a.m.to 10 p.m. and Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. For specific monthly payment plan inquiries and assistance with plan adjustments, please contact TMS directly at 800-722-4867.
*Student account information can only be provided by CMU staff to students due to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974.