Posting the Vacancy
When hiring a new employee for a full- or part-time staff position, you must post the vacancy on the Careers@CarnegieMellon website for at least three working days, unless the vacancy will be filled by an employee internal to the university.
To initiate the staff recruitment process:
- Complete the Position Management Form (see right). Receive approvals as required.
- Enter the Talent Management System Positions@CarnegieMellon module.
- Enter or update the Position Description for the job.
- Create a Job Posting for the position within the TMS system.
- Submit the Position (including the posting) for approval.
- The position will move through the electronic approval path. Once all of the individuals who are required to review the position have approved the position, the vacancy will be officially posted to the Careers@CarnegieMellon website.
Position Descriptions and Classifications
The position description establishes the expected criteria and competencies by which you will evaluate the employee's performance. Use clear language and layperson’s terms where appropriate. Use action words and be specific.
The position description should accurately reflect the work that will be performed. All major or time-consuming activities should be included. You may choose to include a wrap-up statement, such as "Varied other activities to support the work group may be required." A position description should NOT be a wish list of duties or overstate the responsibilities of the position in order to garner support for upgrading a position.
Job Classifications provide a framework for staff positions. See Job Classification Codes and Pay Scales for descriptions of more than 150 job classifications.
A position may evolve over time, and the job description should be updated to reflect this. When there are significant changes, the job classification assigned to the position may no longer be accurate, and a job reclassification may be warranted. Contact your area’s HR Manager to discuss the job evaluation process.