The hiring process at Carnegie Mellon University ensures that departments hire the best people for their needs in a timely manner, and that we meet all local, state and federal laws and regulations that govern employment. The process shields managers and the university from litigation risks.
Review the Supervisory Checklist—Carnegie Mellon Staff Hiring Process [pdf] to ensure that you are following the appropriate process for hiring new staff. The process follows a few basic steps:
- Use the Talent Management System to update or create the position.
- Create a job posting and have it posted on Careers@CarnegieMellon.
- Collect applicant credentials and select candidates.
- Interview candidates and document the interviews.
- Extend an offer of employment.
- Process the appointment in HREM.
There are some special circumstances to note when hiring minors and interns.
While additional recruiting avenues are not required, we strongly encourage you to expand your applicant pool by using a multi-faceted recruiting approach. Recruiting Services can assist you in all aspects of your search, from developing the position description to recruiting candidates to making competitive offers.