Accommodations and Services-Human Resources - Carnegie Mellon University

Accommodations and Services

Disability Resources can assist employees seeking university accommodations for disabilities. Disability Resources will also answer your questions regarding reasonable accommodations that may be provided in accordance with the American with Disabilities Act. For specific information or to place a request for an accommodation, please contact Disability Resources.

To initiate the process for obtaining accommodations, you must self-identify as disabled via HR Connection.

Possible Accommodations:

Emergency Waiting Areas

If you have a disability that prevents you from evacuating a building in an emergency, you must inform Disability Resources. We will work with Environmental Health and Safety, Campus Police, and Health Services to place you on the Emergency Waiting Area list and to put in place a plan to assist you in the event of an emergency. 

Obtaining Materials in Alternate Formats

Individuals may wish to order event handouts, class texts, or university publications in an alternate format, such as e-text or braille. Contact Disability Resources to discuss how to facilitate this service, or complete the Alternative Format Request Form [pdf].

Interpreter Requests  

To be provided interpreter services, you must complete and submit to Disability Resources an Interpreter Request Form [pdf]. Interpreter Requests should be submitted a minimum of thirty working days in advance to be assured of this service. Please follow up by completing an Interpreter Service Evaluation [pdf].

Service Animal Guidelines 

In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), service animals are permitted in university facilities. Service animals are defined as dogs or miniature horses that are individually trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities. 

Service animals are working animals, not pets. The work or task a service animal has been trained to provide must be directly related to the person’s disability.  Service animals must be properly harnessed, leashed, tethered, or otherwise controlled at all times.  The university may require the removal of a service animal that is out of control or disruptive.  Service animals that are not house-broken may also be removed.

For more information on Service Animals, visit