Disability Insurance and Leaves
(For Full-Time, Benefits-Eligible Faculty and Staff)
Short- and Long-Term Disability provide benefits if an illness or injury cause you to be disabled and unable to work, in excess of seven consecutive calendar days. These programs are administered through Sun Life Financial. Contact the Leaves Manager in the Benefits Office for specific information regarding a disability leave.
Features of Disability Coverage:
|Enhanced Long-Term Disability
|When you are eligible
||Immediately||Immediately*||Immediately*; Not available for those age 69+|
|How to enroll||Automatic||Automatic (Default)||Through Workday
|When benefits begin||After seven consecutive days of disability
||After 180 days of disability
||After 180 days of disability
|Initiating a Claim||Use the Sun Life Telephone Reporting Procedure [pdf]: 877-932-7287||When STD benefits are exhausted, Sun Life automatically contacts you
||When STD benefits are exhausted, Sun Life automatically contacts you|
|Conditions covered||Non-work related illnesses and injuries, including childbirth||Illnesses and injuries resulting in disability of more than six months||Illnesses and injuries resulting in disability of more than six months|
|Benefits||60% of pay (up to a maximum of $15,000 per month) and continuation of retirement contributions||60% of pay (up to a maximum of $15,000 per month) and continuation of retirement contributions||60% of pay (up to a maximum of $15,000 per month), with annual 5% cost-of-living increases for up to 10 years (see chart at right) and continuation of retirement contributions|
|| 25 weeks
||See chart at right
||See chart at right|
6¢ per $100 salary/year (taken over 12 or 24 pays)
- Sun Life will evaluate all claims to determine whether disability benefits are warranted.
- If the absence is also covered under the Family and Medical Leave Act, FMLA leave will run concurrently with the STD leave.
- Members of Local 95 have disability coverage through the Sick and Accident Program, administered by Sun Life Financial. See the Sun Life Telephone Reporting Procedure [pdf].
Tax Implications of LTD Payments
LTD benefit payments are taxable income. They are not affected by payments from any other individual disability insurance policy. However, they are offset by social security, workers' compensation or other state or group disability payments you may receive. Your total monthly disability income from these sources cannot add up to more than the dollar amount maximum for the option you select. The benefit provided is at least $50/month.
Features/Services of the LTD Plan
The LTD Plan has several features that are focused on an individual's abilities and encourages a return to a productive lifestyle:
- Social Security assistance program to help maximize the Social Security Disability program
- Early intervention program to help access vocational analyses and rehabilitation services
- A return-to-work program that includes customized vocational analyses, labor market surveys, retraining programs, on-site job analysis, job modifications/accommodations and training in job-seeking skills