Optional Life and AD&D Insurance
Carnegie Mellon makes additional Life and AD&D Insurance available at group rates for interested individuals. Our Optional Life and AD&D Insurance is provided through Sun Life Financial.
Full-time benefits-eligible faculty and staff may purchase optional insurance in increments of your life base salary.
- Purchase one to four levels of insurance, up to a maximum of $1,000,000 coverage (basic plus optional coverage combined).
- An Evidence of Insurability form is required for optional coverage of more than $500,000 (not combined with Basic).
- Rates are based on age and base salary (see chart right).
- Enroll in optional coverage within 30 days of your benefits-eligibility.
- Increase optional coverage by one level at Open Enrollment or with a life status change.
- Imputed income taxes are required for the value of life insurance coverage in excess of $50,000.
Special Features of Optional Life Insurance Plan
- Emergency Travel Assistance and Identity Theft Protection [pdf] provided by Assist America
- Online Will Preparation [pdf] provided by ComPsych