Evidence of Insurability
High levels of life insurance or changes to life insurance coverage require you to demonstrate your good health. In most cases, this can be done by completing a Sun Life Evidence of Insurability form. If medical problems are indicated, Sun Life may require you to complete additional steps, such as a physician's exam.
Sun Life will send the Evidence of Insurability form to your home address. The completed form should be returned directly to Sun Life.
Acceptance of your Evidence of Insurability will be determined by Sun Life in accordance with its medical underwriting guidelines. While your Evidence of Insurability is being reviewed by Sun Life (which may take several months), you will be insured at your current level of insurance.
- You will only be charged the monthly rate for the actual life insurance coverage you are receiving.
- You will never be approved for less insurance than you are currently receiving.
When enrolling in benefits via HR Connection, you will receive a message if an Evidence of Insurability form is required. Sun Life will send you the form and will contact you if additional information is needed to demonstrate your medical insurability.
Evidence of Insurability Guidelines
Individuals will be asked to complete a Sun Life Evidence of Insurability form under the following circumstances:
Faculty and Staff:
- Not required for basic coverage (regardless of level)
- Required for supplemental coverage of more than $500,000 (not combined with basic)
- Required for supplemental coverage of any amount if enrolling more than 30 days after initial eligibility
- Not necessary at any level if you enroll child(ren) within 30 days of initial eligibility or you continue coverage at the same level
- Required for an increase in coverage or enrolling after initial eligibility
- Not necessary if enrolling for coverage of $50,000 or less within 30 days of initial eligibility or you continue coverage at the same level
- Coverage of more than $50,000 at initial eligibility or enrolling after initial eligibility requires approved evidence of insurability.
- Increasing coverage to more than $50,000 due to an increase in employee supplemental life insurance requires approved evidence of insurability for your spouse/DP.
- Increasing coverage to more than $50,000 due to an increase in salary requires approved evidence of insurability for your spouse/DP (even if there has not been an increase in the employee's supplemental insurance).