stay for whole winter break-Housing Services - Carnegie Mellon University

Staying the entire Winter Break

Residents within campus housing can request to stay the entire Winter Break in the following opened buildings:

  •  Fairfax Apartments
  •  Margaret Morrison 103
  •  Morewood E Tower
  •  Morewood Gardens
  •  Neville Apartments
  •  Residence on Fifth
  •  Webster Hall

All other buildings close on December 22 at 12 pm and residents will not be permitted to stay in those locations past this deadline.

Residents who are currently assigned to an opened building may reside in their assignment during Winter Break, but are required to register online with Housing Services before December 22. Registration is required for any portion of Winter Break including arrival prior to January 6 at 12 pm.

Residents residing in an opened building for any portion of Winter Break without Housing approval will be charged a fee of $100 USD per night through their student account.

Housing Services is not responsible for securing a space for a resident wanting to stay in campus housing over the Winter Break. Residents not living in the open buildings, but wishing to stay in university housing for any period of Winter Break must follow these steps:

  1. Determine if you have friends or acquaintances that live in the open buildings and ask permission to stay in their room over the break.
  2. When a suitable arrangement is secured, register online from November 16 through December 22, 2015. Before your request is approved, all roommates involved are required to confirm their approval of the Winter Break arrangement. If Housing Services cannot secure this confirmation, you will be notified that your request is denied. 
  3. Denied requests will result in the student finding other accommodations for Winter Break.  You may contact Housing Services if you have questions regarding this process at  
The process to obtain keys for Winter Break access will be included in resident approval email messages.

If you must move into another assignment in an opened buidling for Winter break, please visit Leaving for Winter Break for further instructions on how to appropriately leave your space.