utilities-Housing Services - Carnegie Mellon University


Air Conditioning
Some of our residences are air-conditioned. If students need to install an air conditioner in a residence without air conditioning for medical reason, please read our Housing policy — air conditioning section.

Cable TV
Residences located on campus include cable TV service in all student rooms. You will need to bring a cable-ready digital TV and a coaxial cable to connect.

Wireless network access is available in on-campus residential buildings. We recommend using this wireless connection to reduce our overall energy consumption for the University. Ethernet (hard-wired) jacks are available in each on-campus room. Wired ports are turned off by default. If you need to use a wired connection, visit www.cmu.edu/computing network section for more details. The Residence on Fifth is a completely wireless environment.

Troubleshooting Xfinity Cable or Internet Service (for residents who live in Webster, Shady Oak, or Fairfax)

Due to feedback from students regarding the extensive use of cell phones on campus, Housing Services has continued the removal of phone lines in individual student rooms. Common area phones will be available on each floor for emergency use and on-campus calling. Students are encouraged to use cell phones for local and long-distance calls. For specific information about phone line in a particular room, please contact the Housing Services office.

Water, Sewage, Heat and Electricity
These utilities are among the services covered by our housing rates and are supplied to all university housing.