index-Housing Services - Carnegie Mellon University

Key Services

Residential facilities secured by electronic locks:

Boss House, Doherty Apartments, Donner House, Hamerschlag House, Henderson House, Margaret Morrison Apartments, McGill House, Morewood E-Tower, Morewood Gardens, Mudge House, Residential On Fifth (main entrance), Resnik House, Roselawn Houses, Scobell House, Shirley Apartments, Stever House, Welch House, West Wing and Woodlawn Apartments are secured by electronic locks. Residential access is encoded on the student's Carnegie Mellon ID card upon arrival to campus.

Residents who are locked out of their room should visit the Housing Services office in person during business hours and request a temporary key card for two hours to access their room. Please contact Campus Police for after-hour lockouts. Fees apply for temporary keys requests and after-hour lockouts. Residents who have lost their ID card should visit the Card Office during business hours to request a new ID. The Card Office will provide you with a new ID card that includes your housing access. Once the new card is used in a lock, the lost card will no longer work in that lock.

Housing Services will assess the student's account in increments of $5 (i.e. $5 for the second, $10 for the third, etc.) for each temporary key created beyond the first one issued.

Please note that charges will apply to the replacement of a student ID card which are predetermined by the Card Office.

Residential facilities with hard key access:

Fairfax Apartments , Neville Apartments, Residence on Fifth (room), Shady Oak Apartments and Webster Hall are secured by hard keys. 

The student's account will be assessed in increments of $5 (i.e. $5 for the second, $10 for the third, etc.) for each "loaner key" provided by Housing Services beyond the first one issued.

Residents should visit Housing Services to sign out a temporary key for 24 hours. This key must be returned to Housing Services by 5 pm of the next business day. If not returned, it will be assumed that the student lost his or her original key. When a resident loses their key, they are billed for the lock change and the residents sharing the accommodations must arrange to pick up new keys once the lock change has taken place. Once a lock change order is placed, it cannot be canceled.

A replacement fee will be charged for lost metal keys (apartment and entrance keys) and residents of Fairfax Apartments and Webster Hall will be charged an additional fee if the electronic entrance key fob is also lost and must be replaced.

Residents who are locked out during normal business hours should come to Housing Services to receive assistance. After hours and on weekends, contact Campus Police (412-268-2323) for assistance.

need help?