Information for First-year Students
Welcome to Room Selection, first-years! Room Selection is the process through which all current first-year, sophomore, and junior class residents select their housing assignment for the following academic year. There are many different phases of Room Selection, and each resident only participates in one phase.
Room Selection can seem like a confusing process and this page attempts to simplify and clarify the process as it applies specifically to first-year students. However, be sure to read through the entire Room Selection website, as all students are responsible for the information, dates, and deadlines published on this site.
Room Selection at a Glance for First-Year Students
- First-year students who currently live in university housing are eligible for Room Selection. First-year students living in Greek housing are not eligible to participate in Room Selection and are not guaranteed housing, but can reapply for university housing through our Housing Waitlist process.
- First-year students have the option of living in university housing or off-campus for their sophomore year. Students interested in learning more about off-campus housing should visit our Community Housing Resources page.
- Room Selection officially begins on March 3, 2014 - all students can access the application at this time, to apply for any of the available phases of Room Selection.
- Eligible first-years can participate in one of the following Room Selection phases: Room With a Retainer (pull-ins), Block Housing, or General Room Selection.
- First-year students are strongly encouraged to talk to with their RA or CA if they have any questions about Room Selection. There will also be some Information Sessions scheduled in the coming weeks.
- The majority of first-year students go through General Room Selection, which occurs in April. In order to be able to select a room through General Room Selection, you need to complete your Room Selection Application and select the "General Room Selection" option on the "Process Selection" page of the website. You can complete this application anytime between March 3rd and March 28th and you will receive your Room Selection timeslot on March 28th, before 5 p.m. Your timeslot determines the date and time that you can go online and select your room.
- Each year approximately 100 first-year students selecting on the last day of General Room Selection will receive an Open Assignment. This simply means that you will fill out an online form giving us your building and room preferences instead of selecting a permanent assignment through online General Room Selection. Then we will send you your permanent assignment via e-mail once cancellations are processed and spaces open up.
- First-Year students who are considering living in a Greek house for their sophomore year should keep in mind that Greek residents are NOT eligible for Room Selection. Current residents who decide to live in Greek housing next year will not be able to participate in Room Selection 2015 to sign up for 2015-2016 academic year housing (even if you know someone who is eligible that you want to live with.) Any residents who wants to be eligible for Room Selection in Spring 2015 should participate in Room Selection and live in campus housing for the 2014-2015 academic year. Greek residents are eligible to apply through our (non-guaranteed) housing waitlist process.
Remember, this is just an overview of the Room Selection process - students should still read through this site to be aware of all of the options! Room Selection can be a stress-free process if you take the time to familiarize yourself with all of the information!