Quite often, students will participate in Room Selection and then — for various reasons — not return to the university or secure other housing accommodations off-campus. In order to effectively manage our occupancy, we utilize the Open Assignments process to respond to these fluctuations in occupancy. Students who select to receive or are provided with an open assignment are guaranteed a housing assignment for the 2014–2015 academic year, but may not know the exact location of the assignment during the Room Selection process.
Current first-year students should anticipate the possibility of receiving an Open Assignment. Residents who select or receive an Open Assignment will fill out an online form that allows you to rank your preferred buildings and room types. We will use this information when making your permanent assignment based on your preferences and our available vacancies.
The following information applies to residents who select or receive an Open Assignment:
- Residents can opt to select an Open Assignment even if vacancies currently remain in other buildings. Oftentimes, residents with open assignments receive a housing assignment they prefer more than the options that were available at General Room Selection.
- An Open Assignment guarantees you a housing assignment within the university housing system for the 2014–2015 academic year. However, a permanent assignment in a particular building or for a particular room type is not guaranteed.
- Students with Open Assignments will be assigned to permanent spaces in the order of their class standing and General Room Selection number, as spaces become available. We know that many spaces will open up during the Open Cancellation period.
- Residents who receive an Open Assignment will need to sign their Housing License Agreement once they receive a assignment. Once this agreement is signed, you will be committed to housing for the 2014–2015 year.
- Open Assignments can be canceled during the Open Cancellation Period just like any other Fall 2014 housing assignment.
- The spaces that open up during the Open Cancellation period could be in any residence hall or apartment building. Residents with Open Assignments are encouraged to keep their options open. Every effort will be made to house you in one of your preferred buildings but cancellations dictate where spaces open up.
- After confirming your permanent assignment, you have the option of requesting a room change just as you would have in Housing Selection. In many instances, with an Open Assignment, you may have a better chance at some spaces than students who attended housing selection before you.
- If a resident isn't happy with their open assignment offer, they can decline the offer and cancel their housing agreement within the three day response window without any penalty, even if the offer was made after the Open Cancellation Period had ended.