General Room Selection
General Room Selection is the final (and biggest) phase of Room Selection — it's the process where all remaining eligible residents who haven't yet selected a room choose from the remaining available spaces. Students who opt into the "General Room Selection" process through the Housing portal application will receive a random Room Selection timeslot within their class (first-year, sophomore, or junior+), which determines the date and time when they select their housing assignment for the following academic year.
General Room Selection takes place completely online. Housing and Dining Services staff members will be available during selection times to offer assistance should any resident experience difficultly with the online system.
Dates to Remember:
March 28, 2014 at 12 p.m. (noon) — Deadline to apply for General Room Selection
March 31 and April 1, 2, and 3, 2014 - General Room Selection online; specific times to be announced
Eligibility for General Room Selection:
Any resident who is eligible for Room Selection and who hasn't already confirmed a housing assignment for the Fall 2014 semester is eligible to participate in General Room Selection as long as the "General Room Selection" option was selected on the Room Selection application before noon on March 28, 2014.
What to do to get ready for Room Selection:
- Talk to your friends and current roommates to decide who you would like to live with — make sure that they have not already selected a housing assignment for next year.
- Start your housing application through the Housing Portal, and set up your roommate group of the people you want to live with. Make sure that you roommates add themselves to the group!
- Click through the "Confirm Process" step of the online application — this let's us know that your application has been submitted and that you have elected to participate in General Room Selection.
- Wait to receive your General Room Selection timeslot (available on March 28, 2014 by 5 p.m.). Your timeslot determines the date and time that you will be able to go in and select your room. If space is available, all roommates who are part of your Roommate Group can be assigned together at the same time, through the online process.
Things to keep in mind:
Current first-year residents in particular should be familiar with our Open Assignments policy, since it is likely that many first-year students will receive an Open Assignment during General Room Selection.
Not familiar with the upper-class living areas? Be sure to attend the Open Houses, investigate options on the Buildings page of the Housing website, and utilize the Guide to Selecting Your Room (coming soon) for help in choosing a living area.
Residents who are eligible to participate in General Room Selection but did not complete the application before the deadline may be permitted to still participate in Room Selection by receiving an Open Assignment (based on availability.) Please contact email@example.com for more information if you missed the application deadlines.
What Can I Expect?
The General Room Selection online process is still very new, so all participating residents should read this section to know what to expect. For a complete step-by-step guide of the General Room Selection application and selection process, refer to the Instruction Guides to the right, which include screen shots and detailed instructions.
- Residents will need to log back into the Room Selection application just before the start of their Room Selection timeslot. If you have class or are unavailable during your timeslot, you will be able to access the General Room Selection pages anytime after your timeslot, through 4 p.m. on Friday, April 4, 2014.
- Browse the available buildings and rooms to find a space that you're interested in.
- Select the room you want by clicking on it — it will then highlight in yellow.
- Assign yourself to a bed space (don't worry — this doesn't assign you to a specific physical bed in the room, it's just a representation of the total number of beds available in any given room.)
- Complete your Housing License Agreement.
- Complete the "Complete and Confirm" step to lock in your selection.
- You're done! Congratulations!
Room availability information will be posted on this website at the start of General Room Selection (around March 31, 2014.)
IMPORTANT: The information on the room availability tables changes constantly. Residents may use this as a resource, but spaces that are showing on these tables are not guaranteed and may not be available at selection time, even if they are still showing up on this list. Additionally, selection rules may dictate that a resident cannot select a particular room even if it is showing up as available.