General Room Selection
General Room Selection is the final phase of Room Selection — it's the process where eligible residents who haven't yet selected a room choose from the remaining available spaces. Students who opt into the "General Room Selection" process through the Housing portal application will receive a random Room Selection timeslot within their class (first-year, sophomore, or junior+), which determines the date and time when they select their housing assignment for the following academic year.
General Room Selection takes place completely online, but Housing Services is available to offer assistance in any way.
Dates to Remember
Thursday, February 26, 2015, at 12 pm (noon) — Deadline to apply for General Room Selection
Friday, February 27; Monday, March 2; and Tuesday, March 3, 2015 - General Room Selection online; timeslots to be announced
Eligibility for General Room Selection
Any resident who is eligible for Room Selection and who hasn't already confirmed a housing assignment for the 2015-2016 academic year is eligible to participate in General Room Selection as long as the "General Room Selection" option was selected on the Room Selection application before noon on February 26, 2015.
What To Do to Get Ready for Room Selection
- Talk to your friends and current roommates to decide who you would like to live with — make sure that they have not already selected a housing assignment for next year.
- Start your housing application through the Housing Portal and set up your roommate group. Make sure that your roommates add themselves to the group!
- Click through the "Confirm Process" step of the online application — this let's us know that your application has been submitted and that you have elected to participate in General Room Selection.
- Wait to receive your General Room Selection timeslot (available on February 26, 2015, at approximately 5 pm). Your timeslot determines the date and time that you will be able to go in and select your room. If space is available, all roommates who are part of your Roommate Group can be assigned together at the same time, through the online process.
Things to Keep in Mind
Current first-year residents should be familiar with our Open Assignments policy, since it is likely that many first-year students will receive an Open Assignment during General Room Selection.
Residents who are eligible to participate in General Room Selection but did not complete the application before the deadline may be permitted to participate in Room Selection by receiving an Open Assignment (based on availability). Please contact email@example.com for more information if you missed the application deadline.
General Room Selection: Step-By-Step
- During their timeslot, students must log back into the Room Selection application. If you have class or are unavailable during your timeslot, you will be able to access the General Room Selection pages anytime after your timeslot, through 5 pm on Thursday, March 5, 2015.
- Go to the "Select Room" page of the application (if not taken there automatically after logging in).
- Browse the available buildings and rooms to find a space that you're interested in.
- Select the room you want by clicking on it — it will then highlight in yellow.
- Assign yourself to a bed space (don't worry — this doesn't assign you to a specific physical bed in the room, it's just a representation of the total number of beds available in any given room).
- Complete your Housing License Agreement.
- Complete the "Complete and Confirm" step to lock in your selection.
- You're done! Congratulations!
Room availability information will be posted on this website at the start of General Room Selection on Friday, February 27, 2015.
IMPORTANT: The information on the room availability tables changes constantly. Residents may use this as a resource, but spaces that are showing on these tables are not guaranteed and may not be available at selection time, even if they are still showing up on this list. Additionally, selection rules may dictate that a resident cannot select a particular room even if it is showing up as available.