Block Housing is a phase of Room Selection that allows groups of friends or residents of a living community to select a "block" of apartments or rooms near each other in Fairfax Apartments, Webster Apartments, Shady Oak Apartments, and Morewood Gardens. Block Housing is a great way to live with a close group of your friends! Current first-year students are especially encouraged to participate.
Please read the following information carefully to understand what steps need to be taken to ensure a successful block housing experience.
Any Room Selection Eligible resident who has not yet selected a housing assignment for the 2015–2016 academic year may participate in Block Housing, as long as the application deadlines are met.
Block Housing applications are due by 12 p.m. noon on Friday, February 20, 2015. Block Housing selection is scheduled for February 24 and 25, 2015 depending on the Block Housing Selection number your group receives. Group Representatives will be notified of their specific selection date and time and location for their group. Each group is usually allotted a 15 to 30 minute time-slot during which the Group Representative will select room assignments for the block members. Block Housing applications are completed online, but Block Housing selection will be in person at the Residence on Fifth Housing Office.
In order to be eligible to select rooms through Block Housing, every member of the group must complete these steps:
- Start the Academic Year 2015–2016 Room Selection application
- Select "Block Housing" on the "Process Selection Page"
- Add themselves to their Block Housing group (once it has been set up by the Block Leader)
- Complete the "Confirm Process" step to lock in their Block Housing application
- Block housing groups must consist of at least 6 members, but no more than 12. Smaller sized groups (6 to 8 members) and groups with an even number of members will find more blocks available to them during Block Housing selection.
- All members of a block housing group must be eligible to participate in Room Selection 2015 - off-campus students are not eligible to be part of a block.
- Each member of a block housing group must complete the online housing application, request "Block Housing" and add themselves to the group (see the "What" section, above.)
- Each block housing group must designate a Block Leader — this person will set up their Block Housing group on the housing portal, will be responsible for getting all of the Block Members to add themselves, and will need to "verify" the group online once everyone has added themselves to the group.
- Students applying for Block Housing should NOT retain their current room. Block housing members who participate in the retention process will not be eligible to participate in the Block Housing process.
- Groups must have at least 6 and no more than 12 group members. Groups larger than 12 cannot be accommodated at this time.
- All block housing "blocks" will be located in the following buildings: Fairfax Apartments, Webster Apartments, Shady Oak Apartments, and Morewood Gardens.
- All applications must be submitted by 12 p.m. (noon) on February 20, 2015 (all group members must have added themselves and completed the "Confirm Process" step of the application)
- Blocks of room within each building are identified by Housing Services after the room retention and pull-ins process.
- The Block Leader will be the main contact point between the group and Housing Services. The Block Leader will be notified of the selection date and time for the group, and will be responsible for selecting a block of rooms and making specific room assignments on behalf of his/her group. The Block Leader can send someone else in his/her place to select if he/she has class during the designated selection time.
- Groups can consist of both men and women. However, if men and women are opting to reside together in the same apartment, additional regulations apply. A mixed gender apartment falls under the guidelines of Gender Neutral Housing. Students opting for Gender Neutral housing assignments should be familiar with the Gender Neutral Housing policies, and the Gender Neutral Housing Financial Responsibility Acknowledgment form will need to be signed and submitted before we will finalize any Gender Neutral Housing assignments - Block Leaders should bring these signed forms to their selection meeting time. Students opting for Gender Neutral housing should also be aware that there can be significant financial ramifications if one of your roommates moves out of a Gender Neutral designated space. Gender Neutral housing is not available in Morewood Gardens - groups will need to be mindful of gender restrictions when choosing a block in Morewood.
- Groups are required to completely fill any apartments or rooms that they occupy – no half-filled rooms will be permitted. For example, a group of 6 residents selecting in Webster Apartments could choose between three double occupancy apartments or two triple occupancy apartments. A group of 7 would be limited to a block consisting of two double occupancy apartments and one triple occupancy apartment. Sometimes "pick-up" spaces are available for groups with uneven numbers. Pick-up spaces are spaces that are in half-filled rooms due to only one resident retaining.
- Block housing groups are not required to select a block of rooms during this process if there are no blocks of rooms available that they are interested in. If the Group Representative is not able to identify a block of rooms that meets the needs of the entire group, he or she can walk away from the process without penalty and all group members can instead participate in General Room Selection. However, once a resident is assigned to a space on Block Housing Selection day, they will not be eligible to Elect to Participate in General Room Selection. Group members should discuss their intentions with their Group Representative prior to their group selection time.
If you need help completing the Room Selection/Block Housing Application, please refer to the Instruction Guides on the right for step-by-step instructions on completing your application.
Block Housing Eligibility Requirements
Other Information about Block Housing