Students Not Currently Residing in University Housing
Students who are currently living off-campus or are returning from a leave of absence or academic suspension are not eligible for Room Selection. Individuals in these categories who want to live in university housing can complete the housing waitlist application through the housing portal. The application system automatically knows which application each student is eligible to fill out, so students should select the "Academic Year" application option and will then be directed to the appropriate waitlist application.
Students who are not currently living in university housing are NOT eligible to participate in any phase of Room Selection, including Block Housing, General Room Selection, Room with a Retainer (pull-ins), or any other phase of Room Selection. The only exceptions are for students who are applying for and are hired as an RA or CA for the upcoming academic year, or for approved study abroad students.
Submitting a housing waitlist application does not make one eligible for Room Selection which includes being "pulled-in" by a current resident who is retaining or to select an assignment during Room Selection.
- To complete the Upper-Class Housing Waitlist Application, go to https://starrez.housing.cmu.edu/StarRezPortal/.
Important information about the housing application process:
- Students are encouraged to submit an application as soon as they know that they will need housing for any given semester. Assignments are offered to applicants in order of application date.
- In most cases, assignments are offered out during the summer months after Room Selection, room changes, and first-year assignments are complete. This usually occurs in late July. However, we will always send out an offer as soon as one is available.
- All efforts are made to assign applicants to one of their preferences. If none of the listed preferences are available, we will still contact you with an offer of a different available space to consider. You will always have the option of declining that offer.
- Housing Services will send occasional updates during the summer regarding the status of wait-list applications. However, applicants are always welcome to inquire about their status at any time.