Students Currently Studying Abroad
Abroad for Spring 2014 (one semester)
Students who are studying abroad for the Spring 2014 semester who resided in university housing during Fall 2013 are eligible to participate in Room Selection to select housing for the 2014-2015 academic year as long as they complete the Intent to Participate in Room Selection form from the forms page before February 28, 2014.
To inquire about whether or not you submitted this form, or if you need to submit it, please send an e-mail to email@example.com.
Abroad for Fall 2013 and Spring 2014 (full academic year)
Students who are studying abroad for the full academic year (Fall 2013 and Spring 2014) may request to be eligible to participate in Room Selection as long they resided in university housing during the Spring 2013 semester. The Intent to Participate in Room Selection form must be submitted before February 28, 2014.
The Room Selection Process for Students Currently Abroad
The Room Selection process for residents who are studying abroad is not much different from the process for students who are on campus. All of the same Room Selection options are available to you (except for room retention, since you won't have a spring semester assignment to retain). However, you need to keep the following things in mind:
- Make sure that you submit your intent form prior to the deadline stated above.
- Communicate with Housing Services about what Room Selection process you would like to participate in and how you plan to participate. As long as you have Internet access, you can complete nearly any process even if you're abroad. Many students who are abroad will be pulled in by someone who is retaining (through the online pull-ins process) or will have their roommate assign them through General Room Selection.
- Make sure that your roommate knows what room type options you are interested in, and which phase of Room Selection you intend to participate in. In many cases, residents who are studying abroad designate the person that they plan to live with for next year as their proxy. That way, their roommate can confirm both assignments at the same time.
- All students who are currently abroad — regardless of which phase they are participating in — must complete the Room Selection application, which will become available starting March 3, 2014. The deadlines depend on which phase of Room Selection you are participating in. In general:
- March 7 — If planning to apply for Henderson Wellness House
- March 21 — If being pulled in by a resident who is retaining their current room (dependent upon availability of space within the room)
- March 21 — If part of a Block Housing group
- March 28 — If participating in General Room Selection
- Once an assignment is selected, you will be required to log back into the application to sign your Housing License Agreement within 48 hours of the assignment being made.
- If you will need Housing Services to assist with your room selection, please let us know before noon on March 21, 2014. We will provide further information on a case-by-case basis.
Thinking about studying abroad for Fall 2014?
If you know for sure that you will be studying abroad during the Fall 2014 semester, you should not participate in Room Selection. Instead, complete the "Spring 2015 Only" application through the housing portal. You will be asked to rank your building and room type preferences during the application process. You should complete this application before leaving campus in May 2014. You will be guaranteed a housing assignment when you return in the spring.
If you're not sure whether or not you've been accepted into a study abroad program, then you are welcome to participate in Room Selection to secure a room for the fall semester as a back-up plan. However, you will be held to the cancellation deadlines just as any other resident would, and depending on when you cancel, may be responsible for paying the $400 housing reservation fee on your Fall 2014 student account, even if you aren't on campus for the fall semester. If you find out about your study abroad acceptance after the open cancellation period is over, please be sure to e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to coordinate your housing cancellation so that you are not responsible for the full housing cost, keeping in mind that you will still be responsible for the $400 housing reservation fee.