Students Currently Studying Abroad
Abroad for Spring 2017 (one semester)
Students who are studying abroad for the Spring 2017 semester who resided in university housing during Fall 2016 are eligible to participate in Room Selection to select housing for the 2017-2018 academic year as long as they complete the Intent to Participate in Room Selection form from the forms page before February 1, 2017.
To inquire about whether or not you submitted this form, or if you need to submit it, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Abroad for Fall 2016 and Spring 2017 (full academic year)
Students who are studying abroad for the full academic year (Fall 2016 and Spring 2017) may request eligibility to participate in Room Selection as long they resided in university housing during the Spring 2016 semester. The Intent to Participate in Room Selection form must be submitted before February 1, 2017.
Important Room Selection Information for Students Currently Abroad
- Make sure that you submit your intent form prior to the deadline of February 1.
- Communicate with Housing Services about what Room Selection process you would like to participate in and how you plan to participate. As long as you have Internet access, you can complete nearly any process even if you're abroad. Many students who are abroad will be pulled in by someone who is retaining (through the online pull-in process) or will have their roommate assign them through General Room Selection.
- Make sure that your intended roommate knows what room type options you are interested in, and which phase of Room Selection you intend to participate in. In many cases, residents who are studying abroad designate the person that they plan to live with for next year as their proxy. That way, their roommate can confirm both assignments at the same time. Then, the resident who is abroad simply needs to sign his/her housing license agreement through the Housing portal.
- All students who are currently abroad who need Fall 2017 housing — regardless of which phase they are participating in — must complete the Room Selection application, which will become available starting February 22, 2017. Deadlines depend on which phase of Room Selection you are participating in. In general:
- TBD: Themed Living Communities - Henderson Wellness House, Clyde House, Spirit House
- Pull-ins: Friday, February 24 and Monday, February 2 - If being pulled in by a resident who is retaining their current room (dependent upon availability of space within the room)
- Block Housing: Monday, February 27 - If part of a Block Housing group
- Friday, March 3: If participating in General Room Selection
- Once an assignment is selected, you will be required to log back into the application to sign your Housing License Agreement within 48 hours of the assignment being made.
Thinking about studying abroad for Fall 2017?
If you know for sure that you will be studying abroad during the Fall 2017 semester, you should not participate in Room Selection. Instead, complete the "Spring 2018 Only" application through the housing portal. You will be asked to rank your building and room type preferences during the application process. You should complete this application before leaving campus in May 2017. You will be guaranteed a housing assignment when you return in the spring. Assignments for Spring 2018 will be made in December 2017.
If you're not sure whether or not you've been accepted into a study abroad program, then you are welcome to participate in Room Selection to secure a room for the fall semester. However, you will be held to the cancellation deadlines just as any other resident would, and depending on when you cancel, may be responsible for paying the $400 Housing Cancellation Fee on your Fall 2017 student account, even if you aren't on campus for the fall semester. If you find out about your study abroad acceptance after the open cancellation period is over, please be sure to e-mail email@example.com to coordinate your housing cancellation so that you are not responsible for the full housing cost, keeping in mind that you will still be responsible for the $400 Housing Cancellation Fee.