Housing CancellationsThe Open Cancellation period is the opportunity students have to cancel their housing agreement without significant financial penalty. After the Open Cancellation period ends, students are only permitted to cancel their housing assignments if they are leaving the university, with a $400 cancellation penalty fee that applies. Students who are leaving the university after the Open Cancellation period has ended will still be responsible for paying the $400 housing reservation fee even if they will not be a student for the fall 2015 semester.
What You Should Know about Cancellations
Before canceling your 2015–2016 housing license agreement, please remember:
- Housing cancellations are final — if you change your mind, you'll have to go on the housing wait list.
- You must keep your cancellation confirmation email.
- When you cancel your housing, you are leaving the university housing system. In order to get back into university housing, you will first need to go on a wait list.
- Your space will be filled with a new resident assigned by Housing Services or a new roommate pulled in by another current resident of the space.
How To Cancel Your Housing Agreement
- Click on the "Cancel Agreement" text on the upper right-hand side of the page — this will take you to the cancellation form.
- Click on the "Cancel agreement" button.
- Log-in to your Andrew email to verify that you received a cancellation confirmation email — if you did not receive a confirmation email, your cancellation did not go through.
- Residents who do not request a cancellation before 12 p.m. on March 31, 2015, will be held responsible for all housing costs. This includes residents who sign a housing contract or confirm an Open Assignment after March 31.
- Residents who have signed a Housing License Agreement for 2015-2016 academic year through campus housing should not sign leases for off-campus apartments after March 31, 2015. University housing contracts are for the full academic year (both the fall and spring semesters).
- March 6, 2015, through March 31, 2015 (at 12 p.m. noon) — Cancellation of housing assignment with a full refund of housing charges and a full refund of the $400 reservation fee. Residents who cancel during this phase will be refunded for all Fall 2015 housing charges.
- After March 31, 2015 (at 12:00 p.m.) — By exception only; Cancellation of housing assignment with a full refund of housing charges will only be granted to students who are leaving the university due to leave of absence, withdrawal, academic suspension, or studying abroad. Residents who are approved to cancel for these reasons after March 31 will be charged a fee in the amount of the $400 housing reservation charge. This charge will be billed to the the Fall 2015 student account in July. Even students who will not be enrolled at Carnegie Mellon for the fall will be responsible for paying the $400 fee.
You must return to the housing application portal to cancel your housing license agreement. The link will be available when the open cancellation period begins. When canceling, please be sure to complete the following steps:
Who Can Cancel Their Housing Assignment?
Housing cancellations are granted to students who participated in Room Selection and cancel their housing assignments within the timeline of the Open Cancellation Period. Depending on when the cancellation request is made, some students will even receive a refund of their housing reservation fee.
Residents who did not select a room during Room Selection (i.e. you elected to participate in room selection but did not end up coming or selecting a room) do not need to submit a cancellation form — the $400 housing reservation fee will not be charged if a room is not selected.
Open Cancellation PeriodThe Open Cancellation Period begins Friday, March 6, 2015, and runs through Tuesday, March 31, 2015, at 12 p.m. noon. The link to the cancellation form will be available here and the Room Selection homepage when the open cancellation period begins.
After Tuesday, March 31, 2015, at 12 p.m. (noon) — Residents will not be permitted to cancel their Housing License Agreement and will be held financially responsible for all housing charges, including the $400 housing reservation.