Housing Rates and Fees
The Housing Rate Sheet outlines all of the different rates for the various types of accommodations at Carnegie Mellon.
In addition to your housing rate, all Carnegie Mellon residents are assessed the following fees:
- $400 housing reservation fee (pre-paid for first-year students as part of your $800 admissions deposit)
- $15 Student Dormitory Council (SDC) activity fee
Your room rate includes the following:
- Bed with 39" x 80" mattress and mattress protector will be provided; you need to bring your own linens.
- Desk and chair
- Bookshelf or hutch (as applicable)
- Closet or wardrobe
- Safety rails and ladder for lofted or bunked bed
- Window coverings
- High speed network/Internet access (wired and/or wireless connection depending on housing facility)
- Basic Cable TV service with activated cable TV jack (You will need to bring a cable-ready digital TV and a coaxial cable to connect.)
- Phone jacks are not active in student rooms. There are centrally located community phones available in each area. Use of cell phones is encouraged for personal use.
- Maintenance (students pay separately for room and public area damages)
Housing and Financial Aid
The financial aid amount provided to some students to help cover housing costs is based on the "standard double" residence hall room rate. All standard double rooms are reserved for new incoming first-year students, however, not all first-year students will be assigned to standard double rooms (due to a limited number of this particular room type). Financial aid provided will still be based on the standard double housing rate and cannot be adjusted even if students are assigned to a room with a higher rate.