Housing Rates and Fees
The Housing Rate Sheet outlines all of the different rates for the various types of accommodations at Carnegie Mellon.
2014-2015 Academic Year Housing Rate Sheet [pdf]
2015-2016 Academic Year Housing Rate Sheet [pdf]
In addition to your housing rate, all Carnegie Mellon residents are assessed the following fees:
- $400 housing reservation fee (pre-paid for first-year students as part of your $800 admissions deposit)
- $15 Student Dormitory Council (SDC) activity fee
Your room rate includes the following:
- Bed with 39" x 80" mattress and mattress protector will be provided; you need to bring your own linens.
- Desk and chair
- Bookshelf or hutch (as applicable)
- Closet or wardrobe
- Safety rails and ladder for lofted or bunked bed
- Window coverings
- High speed Internet Service (Ethernet connections or Comcast Broadband Internet Service)
- Basic Cable TV service with activated cable TV jack (You will need to bring a cable-ready digital TV and a coaxial cable to connect.)
- Phone jacks are not active in student rooms. There are centrally located community phones available in each area. Use of cell phones is encouraged for personal use.
- Maintenance (students pay separately for room and public area damages)
Housing and Financial Aid
The financial aid budget amount provided to some students to cover housing costs is based on the "standard double" residence hall room rate. All standard double rooms are reserved for new incoming first-year students, however, not all first-year students will be assigned to standard double rooms due to a limited number of this particular room type. It is important for those who are not assigned to a standard double room to be aware of this fact. Housing Services is not able to adjust any of the housing rates for students, even though they may be assigned to an accommodation at a room rate higher than requested.