Room Assignments ProcessThe room assignments process at Carnegie Mellon is a very personal and intentional process. We spend a lot of time matching roommates in order to maximize the potential for successful roommate relationships, and we strive to assign students to the best available assignment based on space availability and building and room type preferences.
Your Housing Assignment is based on a number of factors, including:
- Your admissions deposit date
- Your building and room type preferences
- Your personal/lifestyle preferences
- Your roommate requests
- The availability of space in your preferred buildings
- When you completed your housing application (either before or after the May 31 deadline)
Things all first-year students should keep in mind
- We process assignments in order of admissions deposit date. An early admissions deposit date means that it is more likely that you will be assigned to one of your top five buildings preferences, depending on which buildings you rank.
- We guarantee that we will assign roommates who request each other together as long as you both request each other on your applications and as long as you both residents submit your complete applications before the May 31 deadline. If both of these things happen, then we will assign roommates together based on the earlier admissions deposit date of the two residents.
- Space in the most popular buildings is limited. 95% of all incoming first-year students request Donner House, Morewood E-Tower, Mudge House and Stever House, as four of their top five building preferences. Obviously, these four buildings cannot accommodate the entire first-year class. We make every effort to assign you to one of your preferred buildings, but unfortunately space limitations may hinder our ability to accomplish this goal for some students.
Your Room AssignmentIf you were assigned to a room, you will be able to view your specific room assignment and roommate information through the Now That I'm Enrolling website or through the Student Information Online (under the My Info tab.) Assignment information is usually released in the first week of July and will be available no later than July 15. An e-mail will be sent out to all first-year residents when assignment information is available.
Your assignment information will include:
- Your building name
- Your room or apartment number
- The room rate associated with your specific assignment
- Your roommate's name
- Your roommate's Andrew e-mail address
Students who submitted their housing application after the May 31st deadline may not receive a housing assignment during this first release and should contact Housing Services to find out the status of their housing application.
Temporary HousingStudents who have late deposit dates (late April and May) may be assigned to Temporary Housing. Temporary housing triples are located in Donner House and Mudge House, and five-person rooms are set up in lounges in Morewood E-Tower. All residents who receive a room assignment in Donner or Mudge should be aware of the possibility of being assigned a third roommate for the start of the fall semester. Residents assigned to a temporary housing space and the hosts of temporary housing residents will all be notified individually.
Room Change RequestsThe assignment that you received is the best possible assignment based on the available spaces at the time that we were processing your housing assignment. First-year housing assignments are processed in order of admissions deposit date and we cannot always accommodate building preferences for students with later deposit dates since many buildings fill up very quickly.
For this reason, we do not accept or process room change requests for first-year students over the summer. The formal room change process will begin usually in mid-October or once all of the first-year students assigned to temporary housing have been assigned. First-year students who still wish to change rooms at that time can submit an application to get on the room change wait-list.