Greek Housing Policies-Housing Services - Carnegie Mellon University

Fraternity and Sorority Housing Policies

Contact Information

Housing Services
Morewood Gardens E-101, 1060 Morewood Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15213
(412) 268-2139

Louis McCauley — Director of Facilities for Housing Services x8-2207

Clifton Stanford — Greek Facility Coordinator * x8-5602

Dan Askin — Senior Facility Coordinator x8-7980

Dawn Capozzolo — Financial Coordinator x8-2796

Colleen Libertz — Room Assignments Coordinator x8-8665

Lisa Hartman — Assistant Director of Housing Operations x8-9797

Jenna Barna — Front Reception Coordinator (Access/Keys) x8-2139

*The assigned Facility Coordinator is the Greek Organization’s primary point of contact for maintenance and facilities issues, and works to ensure that maintenance is provided to the Facility in a timely manner.

Student Life Office
Across from the main entrance to Morewood Gardens residential community
1060 Morewood Avenue, Pittsburgh PA 15213
(412) 268-2142

Lucas Christain — Associate Director of Student Life for Upper-class and Greek Houses x8-2142

Jesse Koch – Assistant Director of Greek Life x8-2142

Emily Cunningham – Coordinator of Greek Leadership & Housefellow x8-2142

Aaron George – Coordinator for Fraternity and Sorority Life x8-2142

Administrative and Financial Calendars

*subject to change
Wednesday, August 13, 8:00AM – Early move-in for pre-approved members
Thursday, August 21, 8:00AM – Move-in for returning students

Thursday, September 4, 5:00PM – Deadline to makes changes to dining plans for Greek Residents

Friday, September 19, 5:00PM - Deadline to submit meal plan change requests for new pledges



  • Rosters are to be submitted per lease. Greek Organizations agree to provide the Student Life Office with a roster of all active and new members each semester including house assignments, in accordance with time frames specified in Addendum II of the Greek Housing Lease. Organizations are also encouraged to send roasters to Housing Services ( for quicker processing of the Greek assignments.
  • The roster must be updated with the Student Life Office by the end of the third week of each semester or within 48 hours of the completion of recruitment, formal membership recruitment or extending a bid for membership, whichever comes first. Rosters should also be emailed to Housing Services (


  • The Greek Organization agrees to only permit Carnegie Mellon students in good standing to reside in the facility. The students also must have signed a completed Greek Financial Sign-over Form and have committed to pay any assessments and abide by all rules and regulations. Housing roster must be approved by Housing Services and validated before students are approved to move into the Greek House.
  • The House Manager and President of the Greek Organization residing in a facility are the designated members authorized to request residential roster changes, room changes and any key access in accordance with the provisions stated in the Greek lease.

Room Changes

  • Subject to the conditions stated in the Greek Housing Lease and the Housing License Agreement, a member giving written notice to Housing Services of a planned move from a campus residence into the facility may cancel his or her Housing License Agreement with Housing Services.
  • Students previously on a leave of absence or studying abroad should work with the chapter House Manager and President to be approved to obtain a space. The President of the chapter must then work with Housing Services to fulfill all necessary requirements in accordance with the lease.
  • If a member is trying to move out of the chapter house, but does not have approval of the House Corporation Board or National Office, please contact Student Life Office for assistance. Any refunds are processed by the chapter leadership and not Housing Services.

Occupancy and Keys

Occupancy Guidelines

  • Residents must occupy a minimum of 85% of the total space available.
  • A minimum of 75% of the residents must be members of the fraternity or sorority for which the Greek organization has received recognition as a student organization.
  • Policies and conditions for Greek organizations that do not meet the occupancy requirement can be found in the Greek lease under the section “Failure to Meet Occupancy Requirement and/or Membership Requirement.”
  • The Greek organization may accommodate guests and visitors for periods of more than three consecutive days only with the prior written approval of Housing Services.
  • Occupancy will be confirmed jointly by Housing Services and Office of Greek Life.

Summer Occupancy

  • Accurate rosters and proof of signed Greek Financial Sign-over Forms must be submitted to Housing Services for all summer residents. The facility can be rented to Carnegie Mellon students who are not chapter members and are in good standing with the University. Summer residents of the opposite gender are not permitted in the same building.


  • Keys are issued at the start of each term and break period upon receipt of an approved roster at Housing Services. Rosters should include residents, non-resident members, masters and any special key requests (buggy keys, keys to cook or chapter advisers, etc.) and be submitted in accordance with the Greek Housing Lease terms.
  • Rosters should be emailed to Housing Services ( in addition to the Student Life Office.
  • The President or House Manager is responsible for distribution of keys. Requests for new keys must be approved and added to the roster prior to issuance of keys.
  • A maximum of two (2) master keys at a time will be issued to a chapter on a lease (Chapters on Housing License Agreements are not eligible for masters keys). Lost master keys should be immediately reported to Housing Services by the President or House Manager, so that the building can be secured. There is a $75 charge to replace a lost master key.
  • Master keys expire each semester (fall, spring and summer). Masters are not automatically reissued. Semester roster updates should include new master assignments.
  • Residents and members who lose their room or member key may contact Housing Services directly for a replacement. A replacement charge of $25 will apply to any lost room, member or special key.
  • Replacement of damage or lost metal keys issued to any Greek member will be charged a fee of $150 or more, depending on the areas. For more information, please contact your Greek Facility Coordinator.
  • Students are responsible for access gained through the use of their keys. Because personal data are embedded in each key, swapping keys is NOT permitted. Report all lost cards immediately.

Financial Procedures

Monthly Bills

  • Invoices are prepared monthly. The activity included on the invoice spans from the first to the last day of the month. The invoices are available for the chapter president or treasurer to pick up at Greek mailboxes in the Student Life Office.
  • All balances must be paid by the 15th day of the following month or a 1% per month interest charge will be incurred on the next invoice.
  • The Greek Financial Sign-over Forms are due by May 1st to cover the fall rent amount and November 15th to cover the spring rent amount
  • The semester rent is reflected on the May invoice for the fall semester and the November invoice for the spring semester.

Sign-over Forms

  • Blank Greek financial sign-over forms can be obtained through the Housing Services office or click here to download the form [pdf].
  • The sign-over form should include any expenses that are the member’s responsibility such as room fees, meal plan, national dues, chapter dues, damage fees and fines. By signing the form, each member agrees to pay a specific dollar amount to cover expenses related to being a member of that organization.
  • The member, chapter President and/or Treasurer must sign the form and submit it to Housing Services. Forms must be submitted on or before May 1st for fall semester and November 15th for spring semester.

Requesting Refund Checks

  • The President or Treasurer must email Dawn Capozzolo ( indicating the amount they would like to request in a check. Once verification is received that the funds are available, all forms should be submitted for approval.
  • Once approved, requests are forwarded to the Accounts Payable department who will review the request and issue the check.
  • Notification will be sent when the check can be picked up at the Cash Office in Warner Hall across from the HUB. Organizations should allow 1-2 weeks processing time after requesting the check.
  • Requests for checks will not be processed until all lease amounts for the semester have been satisfied.

Lease Payment

  • The lease must be signed by the Greek Organization’s President and the Chapter Advisor, a House Corporation Board Member, a National Organization representative or other similar representative agreed to by Housing Services.
  • Each chapter is identified as one entity and it remains the responsibility of the chapter to allocate fees depending on the number of rooms currently under use.
  • If an additional copy of the Lease is needed, the President, Treasurer or chapter officer can request one through the Housing Services.
  • A group can qualify for lease renewal if the organization is in good standing with the University as defined by the Student Life Office.

Kitchens and Dining

Meal Plan Changes

Participants joining a Greek organization that has a dining plan (commercial kitchen) and moving into Greek housing may cancel their dining plan on or before 5 pm, September 5, 2013 for the fall semester and 5 pm, January 23, 2014 for the spring semester and receive a prorated refund. To cancel their dining plan, participants must return a completed change form (available from the Dining Services office), Greek financial sign-over form for the meal plan and signed documentation of the move on the Greek organization letterhead to be verified and approved by the Housing Services office. Documents must be received by 5 pm, September 5, 2013 for the fall semester and 5 pm, January 23, 2014 for the spring semester.

Participants joining a Greek organization that has a dining plan (commercial kitchen), but remaining in non-Greek housing may reduce their dining plan the week following formal rush period to a Yellow plan and receive a prorated refund. To reduce their dining plan, participants must return a completed change form (available from the Dining Services office), financial sign-over form for the meal plan and signed documentation of the membership on the Greek organization letterhead and verified and approved by the Housing Services office.

Participants joining a Greek organization without a dining plan (commercial kitchen) are not permitted to reduce their dining plan.

When a participant joins a Greek organization, changes will be made in accordance with other Carnegie Mellon University policies and the terms of the dining agreement.

Kitchen Policy

  • Kitchens must be clean and sanitary at all times.
  • The elected representative of the house must maintain the kitchen, pantry and dining areas in such a manner as to be in compliance with current standards set forth by Article III of the Allegheny County Health Department Food Safety Division.
  • A kitchen permit must be purchased by the Greek Organization from the county. This should be renewed every September.
  • The following conditions could result in a the closure of a kitchen:-
  • Failure to provide a valid proof of workers' compensation certificate
  • Failure to provide a valid chef certification
  • Failure to provide a valid kitchen permit
  • Chapter is out of compliance with health and safety codes
  • In the event of a kitchen closure, the chapter president, house manager, chapter advisor, Housing Services and Student Life Greek advisor will all be notified of the closure and process for closing the kitchen.

Cook Certification

  • All fraternity or sorority cooks must be certified. Details on how a cook can be certified are available on the Allegheny County Health Department website and by consulting your Greek Facility Coordinator.
  • Failure to comply will result in the loss of a permit and subsequent closing of the kitchen by the Allegheny County Health Department and/or Housing Services.
  • Proof of Cook Certification and Workers’ Compensation Insurance coverage are due to the Housing Services office no later than August 15th of each year.


  • All Greek buildings will be treated for pests during the summer months and winter break.
  • Kitchens must be prepared by removing all debris from the floor, moving everything at least three feet away from the wall, removing all garbage, turning off all gas, covering all fryers and putting all food away.
  • Failure to comply with the above-mentioned preparation will result in a $100 fine and any subsequent costs related to completion of the procedure such as having someone move items and prepare the building.

Dish Machine Chemicals

  • Each fraternity or sorority will be provided with a $500 balance at the beginning of each fall semester for the purpose of these chemicals. Charges beyond $500 will be the responsibility of the chapter.
  • Requests for dish chemicals must be made via online maintenance requests.

Grease Barrels

  • Each house with a commercial kitchen is provided with two 55-gallon drums placed in an outdoor storage shed at the rear of each building.
  • The barrels are provided for the disposal of cooking oil from the kitchen fryers and should only be used for this purpose.
  • The lock and key are meant to prevent aluminum cans and trash from being placed in the barrels
  • Pick up for recycling of the grease is done through an outside contractor supervised by Environmental Health and Safety on a routine basis.
  • Disposal of grease through patio drains or any interior floor drains causes problems and the cost of cleaning drains where there is evidence of grease being disposed of in this way will be passed on to the house as a cost not covered by the lease agreement.

Trash Removal and Recycling

The University will provide trash containers for garbage collection and recycle containers at locations throughout the quad. Construction materials and furniture should not be placed in trash containers. Please contact the Greek Facility Coordinator to make arrangements for the disposal of large items.

Facilities and Utilities

Cable, Internet and Phone Usage

  • Each residential unit is equipped with one telephone line with caller ID. Housing Services does not provide phones. Telephone service includes free on campus and local calls.
  • All bedrooms have one cable jack. Telecom Services provide Cable TV service in all on-campus residences.
  • Residential rooms are also equipped with Ethernet capabilities or Comcast Broadband Internet service. Wireless access is available in on-campus residential buildings. Visit Computing Services for details.

Snow Removal

  • The University will provide snow removal to one entrance door to each Greek house. The Greek Houses are responsible for snow removal of their sidewalks and patios.
  • Housing Services will provide maximum two shovels a year to each house. Requests must be made via online maintenance requests.

Cleaning and Maintenance


  • The housekeeping and cleaning service are under contract by the University. Housing Services will coordinate the services.
  • Cleaning schedules for Greek facilities apply to the academic year only.  Summer cleaning operations are the responsibility of the Greek organization.


  • In accordance with the lease, all Greek buildings will be treated for pests during the summer months and at winter break. This service includes the entire house during the summer months as well as kitchen and basement during winter break. Additional service and individual private spaces will be treated as necessary and can be scheduled through an online maintenance request.
  • In order to prepare an area for treatment please move everything at least three feet away from walls, throw out all garbage, put away all food, remove all supplies from kitchen stock room, turn off all gas, cover all fryers and clean all surfaces. Any unprepared areas will not be treated.

Right of Entry and Inspection

  • The Greek organization agrees to permit Carnegie Mellon or its designees to regularly enter the facility, including resident rooms, during normal working hours for the purpose of inspection, maintenance, or making repairs or alterations, and to enter the Facility at any hour for the purpose of making repairs necessitated by exigency. Whenever possible and appropriate, entry into individual resident rooms will be announced 48 hours in advance. However, Carnegie Mellon reserves the right to enter resident rooms in the facility whenever a clear and present danger or violation of Carnegie Mellon rules or regulations is believed by Carnegie Mellon to be occurring. The Greek organization further agrees to permit Carnegie Mellon or its designees, including Carnegie Mellon security personnel, to enter the public areas of the facility at any time to  determine  whether  any  laws  or  Carnegie  Mellon  rules  or  regulations  are  being  violated therein.

Maintenance Requests

  • All non-emergency requests for maintenance should be submitted as an online maintenance request. When submitting a request, please be as detailed as possible. The target time frame for all daily service maintenance requests is seven working days. If your maintenance request is not addressed in that time frame, please stop by the Housing Services office to check on the progress of your request in the system.

Maintaining Facility during Break Periods

  • The Greek organization agrees to maintain the same standards of cleanliness required by the lease during the academic year as well as official break periods and summer months.
  • Walkthroughs are permitted through all public spaces without permission or designated time.
  • A minimum of three residents must occupy the facility during each official break period and/or summer months in order for the facility to remain open.



  • Unwanted room furniture cannot be stored during the academic year. The furniture in the Margaret Morrison Greek special interest housing areas is solely owned by Housing Services.
  • Closet doors in rooms and apartments cannot be removed.
  • Due to fire-safety hazards, residents are not permitted to leave furniture in hallway corridors. Residents or organizations will incur a penalty fee of $200 for each violation of the fire-safety guidelines.

Constructed Lofts

  • Residents may receive permission by submitting construction plans to the Greek Facility Coordinator. Home-constructed lofts must be free standing, fire-proofed and securely constructed for safety purposes. Upon completion of construction, the Greek Facility Coordinator must approve the completion and sign off on construction.

Alterations of Personal and Chapter Space

  • Students are not permitted to paint rooms or other residential areas. Housing Services maintains a rotation schedule that allows for all residential facilities to be painted on a regular basis. Students who paint their rooms without authorization will be charged the cost of having the room professionally painted. Greek organization requests to paint areas of a house should be directed to the Greek Facility Coordinator.

Swimming Pools and Hot Tubs

  • Swimming pools and hot tubs are prohibited because of the hazards associated with drowning, electrocution and the weight of large volumes of water. Reducing the size of the pool or tank does not remove the hazards.


  • Waterbeds are prohibited in campus housing (including Greek housing) because of the potential for significant damage to the residence facilities and to students’ personal property if waterbed breaks or is vandalized.

Health and Safety

Smoke Detectors

  • The city of Pittsburgh, the Allegheny County Health Department and Carnegie Mellon University require that there be one operational smoke detector in each sleeping area. In residential buildings, this means one functional smoke detector per room.
  • At no time are smoke detectors allowed to be covered. A violation will result in a $200 fine.
  • Housing Services will replace all smoke detector batteries during the summer months and will replace detectors where they are missing.

Safety Hazards

  • The occupation, alteration or use of university facilities that creates a fire or safety hazards (potential or actual), creates a dangerous situation to individuals or others, or creates a threat to university property is a violation of university regulations and the individual responsible is subject to appropriate disciplinary action.
  • No use of explosive or incendiary materials on university property in connection with programs or activities may take place without the explicit permission of the Dean of Student Affairs and the Director of Environmental Health and Safety or their designated representatives. Failure to abide by this regulation will result in suspension of social and competitive privileges of the organization and/or individual violating the regulation.

Utility Lines

  • No wire may be strung outside any living unit or any alterations made to any university residential building without the expressed permission of Housing Services. This includes satellite dishes, radio and television aerials.
  • No student or student organization may tap into utility lines, antenna wires or cable lines, in either residential facilities or campus buildings, without the expressed permission of Housing Services and/or Facilities Management Services.

Lead Based Paint Disclosure

  • Housing built before 1978 may contain lead-based paint. Lead from paint, paint chips and dust can pose health hazards if not managed properly.
  • Before renting pre-1978 housing, leasers must disclose the presence of known lead-based paint and/or lead based paint hazards in the dwelling.
  • Residents are asked to read Protect Your Family from Lead in Your Home before signing your housing agreement.

University Residential Area Policies

Outdoor Poster Policy for Residential Areas

  • No signs, posters or banners of any size shall be hung outside or around any residential buildings (including apartments and Greek houses) except upon special request to the Student Life Office.
  • Special consideration may be given, on request, for groups to use outdoor postings during university-wide special events. Requests should be made to the Student Life Office and Director of Housing Services.

Window Screens

  • Students are not permitted to remove screens from their windows. Missing screens or screens that have been removed from windows will be reinstalled at the students’ expense. Maintenance requests should be submitted online for screens that become dislodged or are missing.

University Smoking Policy

  • All residential buildings are designated smoke-free with the exception of Fairfax Apartments and Webster Hall.
  • Carnegie Mellon has a vital interest in maintaining a healthy and safe environment for its students, faculty, staff and visitors while respecting individual choice. It is the policy of Carnegie Mellon to provide smoke-free areas for students, faculty, staff and visitors within existing facilities to the maximum extent possible. Where the desire of smokers to smoke conflicts with the desire of nonsmokers to breathe smoke-free air, the desire to have smoke-free air will have priority.

Rooftops and Parapets

  • Rooftops and Parapets are strictly prohibited. Any student found on the roof, no matter the circumstances, will be disciplined accordingly.


  • No bicycles shall be parked or stored in such a manner as to block entrance/exit from any building, to impede the normal movement of wheelchair users or others with special mobility needs, and/or to any interior or exterior stairway or railing.
  • Bicycles may not violate fire safety regulations. Such violations in residential buildings will result in removal and storage of bicycle. Students may be charged a fine and storage costs.
  • Bicycles are to be "walked" inside any residential building.


  • Pets, with the exception of fishes in a small aquarium (if it is allowed by your National Greek Organizations) or seeing-eye dogs, are not permitted in university housing (including Greek houses). Assistive pets may be approved. Requests must be submitted to Housing Services.

Campus Policies

Responsibility and Risk

  • Each fraternity and sorority shall annually instruct its members and alumni/alumnae on the Risk Management Policy of their national office.
  • All residents of a room or apartment are equally responsible for the accommodation and its furnishings. At the end of each academic year, any damages to a room will be charged to the occupants of that room. If the costs incurred cannot be recouped by the individual student, the chapter will be responsible for all damages.

Fire, Health and Safety

  • All chapter houses should meet all local fire and health codes and standards.
  • All chapters should post emergency numbers for fire, police and ambulance next to common phones and evacuation routes on the back of the door of each sleeping room.
  • All chapters should comply with engineering recommendations by the insurance company.
  • The possession and/or use of firearms or explosive devices of any kind within the confines and premises of the chapter house is expressly forbidden.
  • Hallways and stairwells must be clear of debris, furnishings and other objects.
  • Any costs associated with fire, health and safety violations are the responsibility of the Greek organization.