May 2013 Newsletters
April 2013 Newsletter
March 2013 Newsletter
February 2013 Newsletters
January 2013 Newsletters
Leaving Housing for the Spring 2013 Semester
If you are leaving Carnegie Mellon at the end of the Fall 2012 semester and will not need university housing or dining for the Spring 2013 semester, you will need to come to the Housing and Dining Services office to complete a cancellation request form.
Permitted Cancellation Requests
If you are leaving the university for the spring semester for any of the reasons listed below, please visit the Housing office between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. to complete your cancellation form.
- Studying Abroad
- Working a Co-op
- Taking a Leave of Absence
- An Exchange Student enrolled for the Fall 2012 semester only
- Moving to an approved Greek housing vacancy (talk to your house president, house manager or to Housing and Dining Services for more information regarding which vacancies are approved)
Please Note: The Housing License Agreement is a TWO SEMESTER contract that is billed bi-annually. Requests for cancellation of the Housing License Agreement for spring semester for reasons other than those stipulated above are not permitted.
To cancel your housing contract for one of the above reasons
- Visit Housing and Dining Services between now and noon on December 19, 2012 between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. to have your request reviewed and to fill out a Housing Cancellation Request Form. We are located on the ground floor of Morewood E-tower. Don’t wait until the last minute – if you know you’re not going to be here for the spring semester, please stop in and see us now!
- Provide verification of your change in enrollment status, if applicable. (In most cases, Housing and Dining Services can confirm your change in enrollment without paper documentation.)
- Vacate your university housing space no later than 12 p.m. on 12/19/12. This deadline applies to all residents not returning for the spring semester, including those who may reside in buildings that are otherwise open during break (Morewood Gardens, Morewood E-Tower, Fairfax apartments and Webster apartments.)
Residents SHOULD NOT sign an off-campus lease or make other living arrangements until they have completed the necessary paperwork and received final approval through Housing and Dining Services.
Cancellation requests to move into Greek housing
Any resident seeking Greek housing for the spring semester will need to contact their organization regarding cancellation ability. Greek Presidents and House Managers will be advised of the process. Contact your chapter President or House Manager to inquire, or contact Housing and Dining Services.
All cancellations to move to Greek organizations will be in accordance with the Greek Housing Lease. The lease stipulates that a cancellation will only be granted if the member will replace a current Greek resident that is moving out of the organization's house at the end of the fall semester because they are graduating, withdrawing, studying abroad, working a co-op, or taking a leave of absence.
Information for residents whose roommate is leaving for the Spring 2013 Semester
If your roommate is leaving for the Spring 2013 semester, you will be assigned a new roommate unless you chose to pull a roommate in. You may be able to pull-in a roommate of your choosing, provided that:
1. Your current roommate cancels their housing and vacates their space before the December 19th, noon deadline.
2. Your proposed, new roommate (pull-in) completes all necessary room change paperwork AND moves their belongings into your room BEFORE they leave for Winter Break (or before noon on Wednesday, December 19th, 2012, which comes first.)
More information will be sent in an e-mail to residents whose roommate has been approved for cancellation. You will need to respond before the deadline stated in that e-mail if you wish to pull someone in – otherwise, a new resident will be assigned to the vacancy. Residents who choose not to pull someone in or whose pull-in does not move before the December 19th deadline should anticipate that a new roommate will be assigned to the vacancy prior to your return in January.
Please feel free to contact Housing & Dining Services by phone 412-268-2139 or via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you would like to discuss your cancellation request.
Room Assignments Staff
Digital TV comes to CMU
Change in wired Internet connections by Computing Services
Wireless network access is available in on-campus residential buildings. We recommend using a wireless connection to reduce our overall energy consumption for the University. Ethernet (hard-wired) jacks are available in each on-campus room. Wired ports are turned off by default. If you need to use a wired connection, visit www.cmu.edu/computing network section for more details.
The Residence on Fifth is a completely wireless environment.