Thursday, February 28, 2013
What You Can Do to Prevent the Flu
In addition to getting vaccinated, these healthy habits can help stop the spread of illnesses like the flu:
• Stay home when you are sick. If you have flu-like symptoms [pdf], please contact us. A staff member will give you instructions on what to do. To help prevent the spread of infection, please do not come to Health Services without contacting us first.
• Cover your mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing.
• Clean your hands often with soap and water or an alcohol-based hand rub.
• Clean shared surfaces before and after each use.
If you do get sick, remember that if you have a cold or flu, antibiotics won’t work for you! The CDC reminds us that antibiotics cure bacterial infections, not viral infections. To feel better:
• Drink plenty of fluids
• Use a clean humidifier or cool mist vaporizer
• Avoid smoking, second-hand smoke, and other pollutants
• Use acetaminophen, ibuprofen or naproxen for pain and fever
Promote flu prevention in your area with a bulletin board kit [pdf]. Just click, print and post!
Seasonal flu updates and information can be found at the CDC seasonal influenza website.