Pittsburgh neighborhoods have some wonderful, local boutiques where you can find awesome and unique clothes. Take the time to walk around and you're guaranteed to find something that suits your style.
If you need to get a lot of things at once, head to these shopping areas:
Furniture & Home Furnishings
In addition to clothing stores, The Waterfront, SouthSide Works, and Mall at Robinson all have furniture and home furnishing stores as part of the shopping area or located nearby. These are great places to find coffee tables, garbage cans, bed sheets, towels, silverware, and all of the other things that make a space livable. Check out the stores below for affordable items for your home:
- Target, 360 Waterfront Dr E, Homestead, PA (Waterfront); 6231 Penn Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15206 (East Liberty)
- Ikea, 2001 Park Manor Blvd, Pittsburgh, PA 15205 (Robinson Town Center)
- Walmart, 877 Freeport Rd, Pittsburgh, PA 15238 (Waterworks Mall)
Entertainment & Nightlife
Since you've probably already heard about the city's professional sports teams and inclines, we'll direct you to some of the city's (not-so) hidden treasures.
Pittsburgh is food lover's dream. There are fantastic restaurants all over the city, and more and more opening every day. If you're looking for a great place to eat, start with Pittsburgh Magazine's Best of the 'Burgh lists. Of course, you'll never be able to tell anyone that you actually lived in Pittsburgh if you haven't eaten at Primanti Bros. at least once. For a truly unique and delicious dining experience, eat at the Carnegie Mellon-affiliated Conflict Kitchen. Be sure to read about their history and mission before you visit.
Netflix only gets you so far — get out of the house and watch something on the big screen. The Waterfront and SouthSide Works have multiplex cinemas where you can catch the newest releases, but you should also see what's playing at these local favorites:
- Row House Cinema, 4115 Butler Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15201
- The Manor Theatre, 1729 Murray Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15217
- Regent Square Theater, 1035 S Braddock Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15221
- Cinema in the Park, various city parks (including Flagstaff Hill, Schenley Park)
Museums & Cultural Attractions
Thanks to the Arts Pass program, your student ID gets you free (FREE!) admission to Pittsburgh's world-class museums and cultural attractions. Put these on your to-do list right away.
- Carnegie Museum of Art, 4400 Forbes Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15213
- Carnegie Museum of Natural History, 4400 Forbes Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15213
- Carnegie Science Center,
- The Andy Warhol Museum, 117 Sandusky Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15212
- Mattress Factory, 500 Sampsonia Way, Pittsburgh, PA 15212
- National Aviary, 700 Arch Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15212
- Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens, 1 Schenley Drive, Pittsburgh, PA 15213
There are too many things going on to list them all. Luckily, passionate Pittsburghers have taken the time to do just that. These local blogs and events calendars should keep you busy.
- FreeBurgh. If it's free and happening in Pittsburgh, you'll read about here.
- Meetup. Find people who are into the same things as you and get together. There are groups dedicated to everything from ukuleles to learning Japanese to mobile app development.
- HeyEvent. Concerts, art exhibitions, and more.
- Pittsburgh City Paper. Updated weekly, the city's alternative press lists their picks of the week, plus everything else.