CMU Faculty and Staff
The Gelfand Center is here to assist as Carnegie Mellon faculty plan for educational outreach activities.
- We work with K-12 school systems and informal education providers in the community to develop partnerships and educational plans for Broader Impact sections of NSF proposals, or partner sites for service learning activities that are embedded into course requirements.
- Our office is approved to coordinate communications with the Pennsylvania Department of Education to provide Act 48 hours to certified teachers who participate in your professional development activities.
- The Gelfand Center owns two 25-passenger buses that can be used to transport classes to community sites for educational activities.
- We process state Criminal and Child Abuse clearance requests for Carnegie Mellon students and faculty who will be working with minors for a university sponsored program.
- The Mark Gelfand Award for Educational Outreach is presented annually to a faculty member who has combined sustained, effective community service with academic coursework and a deliberate process of student reflection to enhance the learning experience, teach social responsibility, and improve some aspect of life in the community, with special consideration given to individuals who focus on educational outreach to younger populations.
For more information about any of these services, please see the links on the left or contact our offices. We look forward to working with you!