Welcome to the Leonard Gelfand Center for Service Learning and Outreach!
We work with faculty, students and staff through on-campus and community-based activities that improve educational opportunities, especially in the areas of science, technology, engineering and mathematics education for youth. The Leonard Gelfand Center for Service Learning and Outreach was endowed by alumnus Mark Gelfand to create and strengthen partnerships with local schools and education providers.
Our services are wide-ranging. The Gelfand Center:
- conducts professional development activities for teachers and educational workshops for children.
- hires students to tutor at the SciTech Academy and Colfax School of the Pittsburgh Public Schools.
- owns and operates two vehicles that enable faculty to conduct service-based courses in local neighborhoods. These vehicles also permit faculty, students and staff to easily travel to schools and community centers where they provide workshops, tutoring, mentoring and other services.
- assists with the planning and implementation of activities to satisfy the Broader Impact criteria of the National Science Foundation.
- processes clearance requests for more than 200 new volunteers to work with children in the community.
- provides annual faculty and student awards to recognize significant contributions made to the community.
Please explore our site to learn about the work of the Gelfand Center and contact us if you have any questions!