Funds two years of graduate study in any field at a U.K. institution. Award covers university fees, tuition, books, a thesis grant, research and daily travel, plus fares to and from the U.S.
Must be a U.S. citizen. Seniors and recent graduates with a minimum GPA of 3.7 are eligible. Cannot have studied for or hold a degree or degree-equivalent from a British University.
As future leaders, with a lasting understanding of British society, Marshall Scholars will strengthen the enduring relationship between the British and American peoples, their governments and their institutions. Marshall Scholars are talented, independent and wide-ranging in their interests, and their time as Scholars will enhance their intellectual and personal growth.
In appointing Scholars the selectors will look for:
- Distinction of intellect and character as evidenced both by their scholastic attainments and by their other activities and achievements.
- Preference will be given to candidates who display a potential to make a significant contribution to their own society.
- Selectors will also look for strong motivation and seriousness of purpose, including the presentation of a specific and realistic academic program.
Additionally students should share the objectives of the program:
- To enable intellectually distinguished young Americans, their country's future leaders, to study in the UK.
- To help Scholars gain an understanding and appreciation of contemporary Britain.
- To contribute to the advancement of knowledge in science, technology, the humanities and social sciences and the creative arts at Britain's centers of academic excellence.
- To motivate Scholars to act as ambassadors from the USA to the UK and vice versa throughout their lives thus strengthening British American understanding.
- To promote the personal and academic fulfillment of each Scholar.
Application requires endorsement by the University President, Provost, or Academic Dean of the applicant's institution, so students interested in applying should contact FSO immediately.