University, Federal & State Grants-Student Financial Aid - Carnegie Mellon University

University, Federal & State Grants

Grant assistance is awarded on the basis of demonstrated financial need, so not every student will receive a grant. Students do not need to work for or repay grants. Grants are commonly referred to as "gift aid."

Carnegie Mellon Undergraduate Grant

A Carnegie Mellon Undergraduate Grant is awarded by Carnegie Mellon to students who have financial need. Once you complete and submit the required financial aid forms for Carnegie Mellon: FAFSA, CSS PROFILE, signed copies of parent(s) and student 2014 Federal Income Tax Returns, IRS Tax Return Transcripts (if required), all parent W-2 Wage and Tax Statements, Partnership Schedule K-1 from Form 1065 (if required), and/or IRS Form 2555 (Foreign Earned Income) (if required), then you are considered for this grant.

If you or your parent(s) is required to file a Federal Income Tax Return in a country other than the United States, you must submit to College Board's IDOC service a copy of your foreign tax return(s) and provide tax information translated into U.S. dollars on a 2014 U.S. Federal Income Tax Return. This document must be signed by you or your parent(s) and a tax accountant.

Federal & State Grants

Federal Pell Grant

A Federal Pell Grant is awarded by the federal government to students with high financial need. The estimated maximum grant awarded for the 2015-2016 academic year is $5,775. If you are eligible for a Federal Pell Grant after your aid package is determined, a dollar-for-dollar reduction to your Carnegie Mellon need-based grant funds will occur.

Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

A Federal SEOG is for undergraduate students who have exceptional financial need. Carnegie Mellon usually awards these grants to students who receive a Federal Pell Grant. If there is a change in Federal SEOG eligibility, a dollar-for-dollar adjustment to the student's Carnegie Mellon need-based grant funds will occur.

State Grants

Some states provide educational grants to their residents who demonstrate need. If you are eligible for grant assistance from your state but you do not apply, Carnegie Mellon will not provide additional grant assistance to replace your lost state grant funds. If you're a Pennsylvania resident and you do not apply by May 1, 2015 for Pennsylvania State Grant assistance, we will reduce your eligibility for the Carnegie Mellon Undergraduate Grant by $500 if you would have been eligible for a PHEAA State Grant.

This is the amount of institutional grant assistance Carnegie Mellon would have received from the Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency (PHEAA) if you had applied on time.

If you are awarded a state grant after your financial aid package is determined, a dollar-for-dollar reduction to your Carnegie Mellon need-based grant funds will occur.