IRS Tax Return Transcript Request Process
Tax filers can request a transcript, free of charge, of their 2013 Tax Return from the IRS in one of the following three ways:
- Go to the IRS website at www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript.
- Click 'Get Transcript ONLINE'.
- First time users are required to establish an account with:
- Social Security Number or Individual Taxpaper Identification Number (ITIN)
- Date of Birth
- EXACT Street Address as Used on Tax Return
- Postal Zip Code
- Security Questions
- Users obtain a password, log in and access the request page 'IRS - Get Transcript'.
- Select the reason for requesting a transcript, ‘Higher Education/Student Aid', then select the tax year '2013' associated with the type of transcript request, ‘Return Transcript'.
- Transcripts are emailed as a PDF immediately upon request.
- If the 'Get Transcript by MAIL' option is selected, tax filers can expect to receive a paper IRS Tax Return Transcript at the address included in their online request within 5 to 10 days from the time the request was successfully transmitted to the IRS.
- Call the IRS at 1-800-908-9946 (this is an automated request process).
- Tax filers must follow prompts to enter their Social Security Number and the numbers in their street address. Generally, this will be the address listed on the latest tax return filed. However, if an address change has been completed through the U.S. Postal Service, the IRS may have the updated address on file.
- Select 'Option 2' to request an IRS Tax Return Transcript and then enter '2013'.
- If successfully validated, tax filers can expect to receive a paper IRS Tax Return Transcript at the address used in their telephone request within 5 to 10 days from the time the IRS receives the request.
- IRS Tax Return Transcripts requested by telephone cannot be sent directly to a third party by the IRS.
Paper Request Form
- IRS Form 4506T-EZ should be used instead of IRS Form 4506-T because it is sufficient to request an IRS Tax Return Transcript.
- Download the form at www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506tez.pdf
- Complete lines 1 through 4, following the instructions on page 2 of the form. Note that line 3 should be the most current address filed with the IRS. It is the address where the IRS Tax Return Transcript will be sent. If the address has recently changed, include the address listed on the latest tax return filed on line 4. However, if an address change has been completed through the U.S. Postal Service, the IRS may have the updated address on file.
- Line 5 provides tax filers with the option to have their IRS Tax Return Transcript mailed directly to a third party by the IRS.
Institutions are responsible for notifying aid applicants whether to list the institution as the third party to receive the transcript or not. Some institutions may have difficulty matching a parent's incoming IRS Tax Return Transcript to the aid applicant, as the two names may be different.
- On line 6, enter '2013' to receive IRS tax information for the 2013 tax year that is required for the 2014-2015 FAFSA.
- The tax filers (or spouse if requesting information from a joint tax return) must sign and date the form and enter their telephone number. Only one signature is required to request a transcript for a joint return.
- Mail or fax the completed IRS Form 4506T-EZ to the appropriate address or fax number provided on page 2 of the form.
- Tax filers can expect to receive their transcript within 5 to 10 days from the time the IRS receives and processes their signed request. Note: Processing form 4506T-EZ means verifying and validating the information provided on the form. If any information does not match the IRS records, the IRS will notify the tax filer that it was not able to provide the transcript.