Applying for Aid
2016-2017 Academic Year
These steps are for enrolled undergraduate students only. If you are a prospective undergraduate student not yet enrolled at Carnegie Mellon, please visit the Office of Admission's financial aid website.
The preferred deadline for completion of all steps was April 15, 2016; however, students may still apply after this date.
|STEP TO COMPLETE||REQUIRED/RECOMMENDED||INSTRUCTIONS FOR COMPLETION||HELPFUL INFORMATION|
||Required for those who are applying for federal financial aid programs.||Apply at www.fafsa.gov.||
1. Carnegie Mellon’s federal code is 003242.
2. Apply as soon as possible after January 1.3. Be sure to sign your FAFSA electronically using your FSA ID (username and password). View instructions for creating an FSA ID.
|IRS Data Retrieval Tool||Recommended when completing the FAFSA.||The best option to complete the FAFSA is to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) at www.fafsa.gov. Learn more about the DRT.|
|IRS Tax Return Transcript Request
||Required ONLY for those who are selected for federal verification following FAFSA completion and applicants unable to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool.||We recommend requesting your transcript online.||If you and your parents are selected for federal verification as indicated on your Student Aid Report (document you receive after filing your FAFSA), then you are required to request an IRS Tax Return Transcript.|
|2016-2017 CSS PROFILE
||Required ONLY for those applying for institutional financial aid programs.||Complete the CSS PROFILE online at student.collegeboard.org/profile. If you do not have a College Board online account, you will need to create one in order to register for the PROFILE. Carnegie Mellon receives your PROFILE data electronically from CSS, so there is no need to send copies.||
1. Carnegie Mellon’s CSS College Code is 2074.
2. Have your tax returns and financial documents available.
3. The application fee is $25 and an additional $16 for each college.
4. Be sure to print the acknowledgement upon completion of the PROFILE and print a copy of the PROFILE for your own reference.
5. The CSS PROFILE is not required if applying only for federal financial aid.
|2015 Tax Returns & W-2 Forms
||May be required upon review of your financial aid application. View more information.||
Carnegie Mellon uses the College Board Institutional Documentation Service (IDOC). If required, you will receive a letter and cover sheet from the College Board. Applicants can submit tax forms and any other supplemental forms required in one of three ways:
1. Upload electronic versions - RECOMMENDED
2. Courier delivery to: College Board Processing Center, 124 Heritage Ave., Ste. #14, Portsmouth, NH 03801
3. US Postal Service to: College Board Processing Center, P.O. Box 8570, Portsmouth, NH 03802
1. Parents and students should submit signed copies of all pages and schedules of their 2015 federal tax returns and W-2s, if requested to do so. If you were required to complete Partnership Schedule K-1 from Form 1065 and/or Form 2555 (Foreign Earned Income), these should also be submitted.
2. Submit all requested documents in one IDOC packet or electronically to the College Board. Do not send documents separately or to CMU. We recommend sending your documents electronically.3. If you or your parents are required to file an Income Tax Return in a country other than the U.S., you must provide us with a copy of your foreign tax return and provide tax information translated into U.S. dollars on a U.S. tax return. This translated tax return must be signed by you and the tax accountant who translated your income.
|2016-2017 CSS Noncustodial Parent PROFILE
||Required ONLY for those whose parents are divorced or separated.||
Complete the CSS Noncustodial PROFILE (NCP) online at ncprofile.collegeboard.com. The student’s CSS ID and Noncustodial PROFILE password that were assigned to you as part of the CSS PROFILE process will be needed to sign in to the NCP. Carnegie Mellon receives your Noncustodial PROFILE electronically from CSS, so there is no need to send copies or printouts.
1. We do not require 1040s or any other tax information from the noncustodial parent.
2. The noncustodial parent is charged a $25 fee regardless of the number of colleges requiring the information.
|Attestations||Required for all students applying for all types of financial aid.||
After March 1, 2016, log into Student Information Online (SIO), hover over 'Finances', and click on 'Financial Aid Permissions.' Log into the Financial Aid Portal by clicking on the blue 'complete attestations here' link.
ATTENTION 2016 INCOMING FRESHMEN: Please complete your attestations via the Where Am I in the Process website until July 1, 2016. After July, you may complete your attestations via the Financial Aid Portal in SIO.
- CSS PROFILE/IDOC Frequently Asked Questions
- CSS PROFILE Student Guide
- IDOC Information
- Federal Student Aid ID (FSA ID) Instructions
Financial Aid Eligibility Notification
Once a student's financial aid package has been determined, Student Financial Aid will notify the student by email that a financial aid award letter has been posted to his/ her secure Student Information Online (SIO) account. This letter contains important information and further instructions regarding the financial aid package. If a financial aid package changes at any point throughout the academic year, the student will receive a revised letter.
Financial Aid Alerts
If we are unable to process a student's package due to missing documents, the student will receive a Financial Aid Alert email. If an email is received, the student must submit the requested documents by the date specified. Students can check to see which documents have or have not been submitted and received on SIO. If the application process is not completed and all requested documents are not submitted, we may be unable to complete the student's financial aid package for the academic year.
Note: International students are not eligible for any institutional, federal or state grants, or federal loan programs.
2015-2016 Academic Year
The CSS PROFILE and Noncustodial Parent PROFILE submission deadline for the 2015-2016 academic year was February 15, 2016. You may complete a FAFSA and apply for federal financial assistance for the 2015-2016 academic year up until June 30, 2016. View instructions.