Applying for Aid - 2013-2014 Academic Year
*These instructions are for enrolled undergraduate students only. If you are a prospective student not yet enrolled at Carnegie Mellon, please contact the Office of Admission regarding financial aid matters.
|Required Forms||Preferred Deadlines||How to Apply/Submit Forms||Helpful Information|
|2013-2014 FAFSA||April 15, 2013||Apply at www.fafsa.gov.||
1. Carnegie Mellon’s federal code is 003242.
2. Apply as soon as possible after January 1st.
3. Be sure to sign your FAFSA electronically with a PIN number provided by the Department of Education. More information on PIN numbers can be found at www.pin.ed.gov. The FAFSA must be submitted, processed and received prior to completing the remaining steps.
|IRS Data Retrieval Tool||April 15, 2013||The best option to complete the FAFSA is to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) at www.fafsa.gov. Learn more about the DRT.|
|IRS Tax Return Transcript Request||April 15, 2013||We recommend requesting your transcript online. To request a trancript, follow these instructions.||If you and your parents are selected for federal verification as indicated on your Student Aid Report (document you receive after filing your FAFSA), then you are required to request an IRS Tax Return Transcript.|
|2013-2014 CSS PROFILE||April 15, 2013||Complete the CSS PROFILE online at https://profileonline.collegeboard.com. If you do not have a College Board online account, you will need to create one in order to register for the PROFILE. Carnegie Mellon receives your PROFILE data electronically from CSS, so there is no need to send copies or printouts.||
1. Carnegie Mellon’s CSS College Code is 2074.
2. Have your tax returns and financial documents available. You’ll also be charged an application fee of $9 and an additional $16 for each college.
3. Be sure to print the acknowledgement upon completion of the PROFILE and print a copy of the PROFILE for your own reference.
|2012 Tax Returns & W-2 Forms||April 15, 2013||
Carnegie Mellon uses the College Board Institutional Documentation Service (IDOC). Once you have filed your CSS PROFILE, you will receive a letter and cover sheet from the College Board providing you with instructions on how to submit your tax forms and any other supplemental forms required.
1. Parents and students should submit signed copies of all pages and schedules of their 2012 federal tax returns and W-2s. If you were required to complete Partnership Schedule K-1 from Form 1065 and/or Form 2555 (Foreign Earned Income), these should also be submitted.
2. You are required to submit all requested documents in one IDOC packet to the College Board. Do not send documents separately or to CMU.
3. If you or your parents are required to file an Income Tax Return in a country other than the U.S., you must provide us a copy of your foreign tax return and provide tax information translated into U.S. dollars on a U.S. tax return. This translated tax return must be signed by you and the tax accountant who translated your income.
|2013-2014 CSS Noncustodial PROFILE (only required if your parents are divorced or separated)||April 15, 2013||
Complete the CSS Noncustodial PROFILE (NCP) online at https://ncprofile.collegeboard.com.
The student’s CSS ID and Noncustodial PROFILE password that were assigned to you as part of the CSS PROFILE process will be needed to sign in to the NCP. Carnegie Mellon receives your Noncustodial PROFILE electronically from CSS, so there is no need to send copies or printouts.
|We do not require 1040s or any other tax information from the noncustodial parent. The noncustodial parent is charged a $25 fee regardless of the number of colleges requiring the information.|
|Attestations||April 15, 2013||
Log into Student Information Online (SIO) and hover over 'Finances.' Click on 'Financial Aid Status/Award.' Under the Miscellaneous category, click on 'Financial Aid Attestations' and complete the information.
|Be sure that 2013/2014 Academic Year is showing in the pulldown menu on the 'Financial Aid Status/Award' page.|
- CSS PROFILE/IDOC Frequently Asked Questions
- CSS PROFILE Student Guide
- Sample IDOC Cover Sheet
- Financial Aid Process Information Session PowerPoint
Financial Aid Eligibility Notification
Once the student's financial aid package has been determined, Student Financial Aid will notify the student by email that a financial aid award letter has been posted to their secure Student Information Online (SIO) account. This letter contains important information and further instructions regarding the financial aid package. If a financial aid package changes at any point throughout the academic year, the student will receive a revised letter.
Financial Aid Alerts
If we are unable to process the student's package due to missing documents, they will receive a Financial Aid Alert email. If an email is received, the student must submit the requested documents by the date specified. Students can check to see which documents have or have not been submitted and received on SIO. If the application process is not completed and all requested documents are not submitted, we may be unable to complete the student's financial aid package for the academic year.
Note: International students are not eligible for any institutional, federal or state grants, or federal loan programs.
**2012-2013 Academic Year
The PROFILE and Noncustodial Parent PROFILE submission deadline for the 2012-2013 academic year was February 15, 2013.