Applying for Graduate Student Financial Aid
2017-2018 Academic Year
The preferred deadline for all incoming and returning graduate students to apply for Federal Direct Loans for the 2017-2018 academic year is April 15, 2017. Students may still apply after this date.
|FAFSA||Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid at www.fafsa.gov.||
1. Carnegie Mellon's federal code is 003242.
2. Be sure to sign your FAFSA electronically using your FSA ID (username and password). View instructions for creating an FSA ID.
|Attestations||After March 1, 2017, log into Student Information Online (SIO), hover over 'Finances', and click on 'Financial Aid Permissions.' Log into the Financial Aid Portal by clicking on the blue 'complete attestations here' link.||
|Verification Selection ONLY||If selected for verification, complete the required Federal Verification Form for Independent Students and fax the signed form, along with your 2015 Federal Tax Return Transcript to 412-268-8084. View instructions for ordering an IRS Tax Return Transcript. We recommend that you request a transcript online.||
1. Once you receive your FAFSA results, please review your Student Aid Report (SAR) closely to determine if you have been selected for verification.
2. If you have been selected, you will see this message: "171=YOUR FAFSA/APP HAS BEEN SELECTED FOR VERIFICATION, YOUR SCHOOL HAS AUTHORITY TO REQUEST COPIES OF CERTAIN FINANCIAL DOCUMENTS FROM YOU."
|MPN & Entrance Counseling||First-time borrowers: To apply for a Federal Direct Student Loan, go to www.studentloans.gov and complete the Master Promissory Note and required Entrance Counseling Session. View detailed Federal Direct Student Loan instructions. Returning borrowers are not required to complete MPN & Entrance Counseling again.||
1. If you borrowed as a CMU graduate student last academic year, you are not required to complete this step.
2. You will need your FSA ID (username and password) to access this website. View instructions for creating an FSA ID.
|Grad PLUS Loan||If you plan on borrowing a Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan, this is a two-part process and both parts must be completed in order for your Grad PLUS Loan to be originated. This can be completed at www.studentloans.gov. View detailed Grad PLUS Loan instructions.||If you borrowed a Grad PLUS Loan last academic year, you are only required to complete the application portion of the process. This cannot be completed before June 1, 2017.|
Tepper Graduate Students
If you are a Tepper graduate student, please see the Tepper School financial aid website.
Other Financial Aid Application Information
2016-2017 Financial Aid
If you still need to apply for federal financial assistance for the 2016-2017 academic year, follow these instructions.