shortFACES Film Competition
The CMU International Film Festival, now in its 9th edition, aspires to create a dynamic and culturally-charged environment for global perspective on social issues. This year's theme will be "Faces of Work", which is an open invitation to represent the many human challenges, skills, and achievements that workers may face every day in the world. The theme is open to creative interpretations in every genre. The spirit of the festival is dedicated to the legacy of Paul Goodman, a world-renowned filmmaker, psychologist, and Carnegie Mellon professor.
As a collaborative project between Carnegie Mellon University and the Art Institute of Pittsburgh, the ShortFACES Student Film Competition invites independent student filmmakers from both the local Pittsburgh and greater international spheres to submit a short film of their making into the competition that passionately and creatively captures the festival's particular Faces theme.
The 2015 CMU-Art Institute of Pittsburgh shortFACES Film Competition will present four awards.
First Prize: $1000
Second Prize: $500
Third Prize: $250
Selected submissions will be featured during the festival's shortFACES Film Competition Night and will also be posted on 2015 CMU Faces Official YouTube Channel.
- Film must be created by a student.
- Film must be under 15 minutes in length. No required minimum length.
- Film should include but is not strictly limited to the Faces of Work theme. Theme is open for creative interpretation.
- If in a language other than English, and/or if audio is in any fashion muffled, subtitles are required.
- Each director can submit a maximum of two short films.
- Film must have been produced between January 1, 2014 and March 1, 2015.
- Deadline: Film must be submitted prior to March 1, 2015. No late submissions accepted.
- MP4 or .MOV format
- Use H.264 codec
- Code Rate 5M per second
- Video Size 720p (1280 x 720)
- Submission Process:
- To submit your film, please email your work to firstname.lastname@example.org as attachment or via Google Drive.
- Submission file name must follow: "Film Title_Director's Full Name.ext"
- Each film submission must include a submission form. Click here to download.
- All submissions must be accompanied by a $20 film competition fee. The fee remains $20 whether the director chooses to submit one or two films. Please contact our film competition coordinators if this requirement presents a problem.
- Contact Information: Please email the Department Chair of Digital Filmmaking & Video Production / Visual Effects & Motion Graphics at The Art Institute of Pittsburgh, Andres Tapia-Urzua at email@example.com, or the SFC Coordinator Lauralei Kraski at firstname.lastname@example.org, or the Festival Director, Jolanta Lion at email@example.com in regards to any questions or concerns about the 2015 ShortFaces Student Film Competition.
Click here to download these details as a PDF.