Assistant Professor, Assistant Professor, Engineering & Public Policy, Civil & Environmental Engineering, Chemical Engineering (by courtesy), Materials Science & Engineering (by courtesy)
Department of Chemical Engineering
Carnegie Mellon University
5000 Forbes Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
- Carnegie Mellon 2012 -
EducationHarvard Kennedy School of Government, Cambridge, MA
Post-Doctoral Fellow, Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs
Yale University, New Haven, CT
Ph.D. Chemical and Environmental Engineering
M.Phil. Chemical and Environmental Engineering
Rice University, Houston, TX
M.E.E. Environmental Engineering
B.S. Civil and Environmental Engineering
Professor Meagan Mauter holds bachelors degrees in Civil & Environmental Engineering and History from Rice University, a Masters of Environmental Engineering from Rice University, and a Ph.D. in Chemical and Environmental Engineering from Yale University. She completed post-doctoral training in the Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs and the Mossavar Rahmani Center for Business and Government at the Harvard Kennedy School of Government, where she was an Energy Technology Innovation Policy Fellow. At Carnegie Mellon University, Professor Mauter runs the Water and Energy Efficiency for the Environment (WE3 Lab) and is jointly appointed in Civil & Environmental Engineering and Engineering & Public Policy. She also holds courtesy appointments in Chemical Engineering and Materials Science & Engineering. Her present research seeks novel approaches to sustainably meet water supply in an energy constrained world by re-thinking the policies surrounding water treatment, re-defining the inputs to the treatment process, and re-envisioning the membranes in membrane-based water treatment processes.
- Yang, L. L.; Mauter, M.S.; Dilmore, R.; Grossmann, I.E., Investment Optimization Modeling for Freshwater Acquisition and Wastewater Handling in Shale Gas Production, AICHE Journal, 2015, 61, (6), 1170-1782
- Small, M. et al., Risks and Risk Governance in Unconventional Shale Gas Development. Environmental Science and Technology Letters, 2014, 48, (15), 8289-8297.
- Mauter, M.S.; Alvarez, P.J.J.; Burton, G.A.; Cafaro, D.C.; Chen, W.; Guibin, J.; Li, Q.; Pittock, J.; Reible, D.; Schnoor, J., Regional Variation in Water-Related Impacts of Shale Gas Development and Implications for Emerging International Plays. Environmental Science and Technology, 2014, 48, (15), 8298-8306.
- Mauter, M. S.; Palmer, V. R., Expert Elicitation of Trends in Marcellus Oil and Gas Wastewater Management. Journal of Environmental Engineering 2014, 10.1061/(ASCE)EE.1943-7870.0000811.
- Mauter, M.S., Palmer, V., Tang, Y., Behrer, A.P; “The Next Frontier in United States Shale Gas and Tight Oil Extraction: Strategic Reduction of Environmental Impacts,” Harvard Kennedy School Discussion Paper, 2013-04.
- Eckelman, M. J.; Mauter, M. S.; Isaacs, J.; Elimelech, M., New perspectives on nanomaterial aquatic ecotoxicity: Production impacts exceed direct exposure impacts for carbon nanotubes. Environmental Science & Technolnology 2012, 46, (5), 2902–2910.