Erica R.H. Fuchs
Professor, Engineering and Public Policy
Department of Engineering and Public Policy
Carnegie Mellon University
5000 Forbes Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
- Carnegie Mellon 2007-
Erica R.H. Fuchs is a Professor in the Department of Engineering and Public Policy at Carnegie Mellon University. Her research focuses on the development, commercialization and global manufacturing of emerging technologies, and national policy in that context. Dr. Fuchs was selected in 2012 as World Economic Forum Young Scientist (top 40 under 40, internationally). Her NSF CAREER award-supported research focuses on rethinking national innovation systems. Over the past decade, Dr. Fuchs has been playing a growing role in national and international meetings on the future of advanced manufacturing, including advising the President’s Council of Advisors on Science and Technology during a one-day workshop that led to the creation of the Advanced Manufacturing Partnership, and serving on the expert group that supported the White House in the 2016 Innovation Dialogue between the U.S. and China. She currently serves on the National Academies’ committee for Evaluation of the Advanced Research Projects Agency – Energy (ARPA-E), the National Academies’ National Materials and Manufacturing Board (NMMB), and the World Economic Forum’s Future of Advanced Materials Global Agenda Council. She is a member of the Advisory Editorial Board for Research Policy. Before coming to CMU, Dr. Fuchs completed her Ph.D. in Engineering Systems at M.I.T. in June 2006. She received her Masters and her Bachelors degrees also from M.I.T. in Technology Policy (2003) and Materials Science and Engineering (1999), respectively. Dr. Fuchs spent 1999-2000 as a fellow at the United Nations in Beijing, China. She grew up and attended K-12 in the Reading Public School District in Reading, PA. Her work has been published among other places in Science, Research Policy, and Management Science; and has been covered on National Public Radio and in the New York Times. Dr. Fuchs has been an invited speaker at a wide range of venues including the World Economic Forum Summer Davos and the Council on Foreign Relations.
- Ph.D. (Engineering Systems), 2006, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- S.M. (Technology Policy), 2003, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- S.B. (Materials Science and Engineering), 1999, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Laureijs, R., Bonnin-Roca, J., Prabha Narra, S., Montgomery, C., Beuth, J., Fuchs, E. (2017) Metal Additive Manufacturing: Cost Competitive Beyond Low Volumes. ASME Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering. Accepted, Available online.
- Bonnin-Roca, J., Vaishnav, P., Fuchs, E., and Morgan, G. Additive Manufacturing: Policy Needed. Nature Materials. Volume 15. August 2016.
- Egelman, C., Epple, D., Argote, L., and Fuchs, E. 2014. Learning by Doing in Multi-Product Manufacturing: Variety, Customizations, and Overlapping Product Generations. Management Science. (Formerly NBER Working paper No 19674.)
- Yang, C., Nugent, R., and Fuchs, E. 2014. Gains from Other’s Losses: Technology Trajectories and the Global Division of Firms. Research Policy. 54(3): 724-745.
- Ventura, S., Nugent, R., and Fuchs, E. 2015. Seeing the Non-Stars: (Some) Sources of Bias in Past Disambiguation Approaches and a New Public Tools Leveraging Labeled Records. Research Policy. Special Issue on Data. 44(9):1672-1701.
- Helveston, J., Liu, Y., Feit, E., Fuchs, E., Klampfl, E., and Michalek, J. 2015. Will subsidies drive electric vehicle adoption in China and the U.S.? Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice. 73: March 2015 pp. 96-112.
- Sakti, A., Michalek, J., Fuchs, E., and Whitacre, J. 2014. A techno-economic analysis and optimization of Li-ion batteries for personal vehicle electrification. Journal of Power Sources. 273: January 2015 pp. 966-980.
- Fuchs, E. 2014. Global Manfacturing and the Future of Technology. Science. 345(6196): 519-520.
- Woolley, A. and Fuchs, E., Collective Intelligence in the Organization of Science, Invited Paper. Special Issue on New Directions in Organization Science. Organization Science, 22(5): 1359-1367, 2011.
- Fuchs, E.,Kirchain, R., and Liu, S., The Future of Silicon Photonics – Not So Fast?: The Case of 100G Ethernet LAN Transceivers. Journal of Lightwave Technology. 29(15): 2319-2326, 2011.
- Fuchs, E., Field, F., Roth, R., and Kirchain, R., "Plastic Cars in China? The Signifiance of Production Location over Markets for Technology Competitiveness", International Journal of Production Economics, 132(2011): 79-92., 2011.
- Fuchs, E., and Kirchain, R., "Design for Location?: The Impact of Manufacturing Off-Shore on Technology Competitiveness in the Optoelectronics Industry", Management Science, 56(12): 2323-2349, 2010.
- Fuchs, E., "Rethinking the Role of the State in Technology Development: DARPA and the Case for Embedded Network Governance", , Lead article, Research Policy, 39(2010): 1133-1147, 2010.
- Fuchs, E., Field, F., Roth, R., and Kirchain, R, "Strategic Materials Selection in the Automotive Body: Economic Opportunities for Polymer Composite Design", Composite Science and Technology, 68(9): 1989-2002, 2008.
- Fuchs, E., Bruce, E., Ram, R., and Kirchain, R, "Process-Based Cost Modeling of Photonics Manufacture: The Cost-Competitiveness of Monolithic Integration of a 1550nm DFB Laser and an Electro-Absorptive Modulator on an InP Platform", Journal of Lightwave Technology, 24(8): 3175-3186, 2006.
- Veloso, Francisco and Fuchs, E., "The Future of the Asian Auto Industry: Regional Integration, Alternative Designs, and Chinese Leadership", International Journal of Vehicle Design, 35(1): 111-136, 2002.
- Fuchs, E.and Johnsson, P, "Inclusion Characteristics in Bearing Steel and During Ingot Casting", High Temperature Materials and Processes, 19(5): 333-344, 2000.
- (Committee Member.), "Harnessing Light: Capitalizing on Optical Science Trends and Challenges for Future Research", Board of Manufacturing and Engineering Design, National Materials Advisory Board, National Academy of Sciences. In press(2012).
- Argote, L. Dennome, C. and Fuchs, E., "Organization Learning across Boundaries: The Effect of Geographic Distribution on Organizational Learning and Knowledge Transfer", Handbook on Organizational Learning and Knowledge Management, Wiley-Blackwell, 2011.
- Fuchs, E., "DARPA Does Moore’s Law: The Case of DARPA and Optoelectronic Interconnects", Invited chapter in State of Innovation: The U.S. Government’s Role in Technology Development, Ed. by Fred Block and William Keller. Paradigm Publishers, 2011.
- Fuchs, E., "Remembering Comparative Advantage: Leveraging National Differences in Technology Competitiveness. Invited Contribution. Report by CMU and the Atlantic Council to the G-20 Leaders", Forthcoming as a chapter in a book by the same name with C.M.U. Press, 2009.
- Khan, H., Hounshell, D. and Fuchs, E. 2014. Scaling Moore 's Wall: A Public Private Partnership in Search of a Technological Revolution. Revise and Resubmit. Research Policy.
- Sakti, A., Azevedo, I., Fuchs, E., Michalek, J., Gallagher, K., and Whitacre, J. A new framework for technology forecasting: The case of batteries for plug-in electric vehicles. Revise and Resubmit. Energy Policy.
- Helveston, J., Wang, Y., and Fuchs, E. Up, Down, and Sideways: Innovation in China and the Case of Plug-in Vehicles. Revise and Resubmit. Research Policy.
- Bonnin-Roca, J., Vaishnav, P., Morgan, M.G., Mendoca, J., Fuchs, E. When Risks Cannot be Seen: Regulating Uncertainty in Emerging Technologies. Revise and Resubmit. Research Policy.
- Treado, C. and Fuchs, E. Manufacturing Variety: Scale Economies in a Low-Volume High Mix Environment.
- Khan, H., Fuchs, E., Hounshell, D. Chicken Little and the End of Moore’s Law: Why Today’s Challenge is Like None Previous.
- Akinsanmi, W., Reagans, R., and Fuchs, E. 2014. Seeing Rainbows while Others Flee: How innovation in the most advanced optoelectronics technology grew after the burst of the telecommunications bubble.
- Yang, C. and Fuchs, E. Bought but not played with: IP Licensing, Acquisitions and Dormant technological opportunities.
- Fuchs, E. 2014. Platform Leaders, True Believers and Coordinated Innovation: The Role of Key Architects in Influencing Technology Trajectories for Moore’s Law.
- Funk, P., Cowhey, P., Gallagher K.S., and Fuchs, E. Benefits and Costs of International Data Sharing: The Case of the Environment and Policy to Reduce Air Pollution. US Expert Memo from Peter Cowhey, Erica Fuchs, and Kelly Sims Gallagher. US-China Innovation Dialogue. June 5, 2016.
- Fuchs, E. Why the future of manufacturing matters. Blog. World Economic Forum. September 11, 2013
- Fuchs, E. Help Startups Be Gardens of Innovation. Room for Debate. Should the U.S. Seek More Tech Manufacturing? The Opinion Pages. The New York Times. August 6, 2012.
- Fuchs, E. 2009. Cloning DARPA Successfully. Issues in Science and Technology. Volume XXVI. Number 1. Fall 2009.