Civil and Environmental Engineering
Engineering and Public Policy
Sustainable development is:
- less about technological fixes that allow us to live extravagantly, and more about a state of mind in which we recognize that we don't need extravagance.
- less about modifying the natural world, and more about living in harmony with it.
- less about solving problems of the wealthy, and more about eradicating the poverty that makes real sustainability impossible.
- less about debating the tradeoffs between the economy and the environment, and more about understanding that economic, environmental, and social sustainability all go hand-in-hand.
- less about viewing the environment as a commodity, and more about respecting it as a living entity.