This section describes the curriculum for the standard program, the industrial internship option, and the EPP and Biomedical Engineering double major programs. The word "core" refers to the entire set of required courses. In the CMU system, 3 units = 1 credit hour. The programs consist of the following unit distribution:
|Course Type||Standard||Coop||Double Major
|MSE Restricted electives||36||36||36||36|
|Second Intro Course and/or Double Major||12||12||72||111|
Note the following (this refers to the table above, and to the programs on the following pages):
- The core includes the Materials in Engineering course (27-100). The core also includes 18 units of lab, and 12 units of the senior year Capstone course.
- The five free electives in Standard and Coop programs will allow students to take a minor in a different subject.
EPP and Biomedical Engineering double majors allocate all free elective units to the second major.
- The restricted electives are all taught in either normal or miniformat (6 units). Students must take a total of 36 units of MSE Restricted electives.
- There are 18 units of lab in the core, spread out over 4 mini-courses and 2 12-unit courses.
- The total number of units required for graduation is 379 for the Standard and Coop programs and 397 for the double major with BME and 388 for the double major with EPP.
- Out-of-department students can take one of three minors in the MSE department: Electronic materials designated minor, Mechanical behavior of materials designated minor, or the Materials Science and Engineering minor.