Thursday, July 1, 2010
Summer's Here - Time For GrillingNow that summer is here people will be doing more activities outdoors. One of those activities will be cooking outdoors. I thought I might bring to your attention some facts and figures from a recent article released by the U.S. Fire Administration regarding grilling and grill fires. Grill fires include hibachis, barbecues or gas fueled grills.
- From 2006 until 2008 there were an estimated 5,700 grill fires on residential property.
- This type of fire results in an estimated average of 10 deaths, 100 injuries and 37 million dollars in property loss.
- 49% of grill fires on residential properties occur between the hours of 5pm to 8pm.
- 57% of grill fires occur in the summer months
- Propane is the fuel source that was involved in 69% of these fires.
- The leading factors that contribute to ignition are:
- mechanical failure or malfunction (leaks, breaks of containers or piping) - 35%
- misuse of material or product (heat to close to combustibles, etc) - 30%
- operational deficiency (unattended equipment, failure to clean equipment) - 26%
By: Richard Caruso