Monday, August 5, 2013
Broken Glass Containers
Pretty much every laboratory needs a container for the safe disposal of broken glass.
- Containers can be obtained from Mellon Stores, for any campus location.
- Place all broken glass in the container, but no other materials, especially any hazardous chemicals. Broken glass must NEVER go into the standard trash containers.
- Do not fill the container fully-75% full is the most, since it may become too heavy to dispose of.
Disposal is done by
- sealing over the top of the container with sturdy tape (such as duct tape),
- marking the exterior with the word "Trash",
- placing the sealed container in the hall outside the lab for the custodial staff to remove.
If the container in not picked up, contact EH&S and we will arrange for it.
By: Mark Banister, email@example.com, 412-268-1493