Recommended Minimal Disaster Supplies
- Flashlight with extra batteries.
- Battery-powered radio. A weather radio is best. Have extra batteries.
- Keep at least one gallon of water available per person per day (3 days), or more if you are on medication that requires water or that may increase thirst.
- While it is unlikely that you would be trapped in one place for an extended period of time, it is advisable to have enough non-perishable food to sustain you for at least three days (three meals per day). Even if you don’t need the food, you will feel better psychologically knowing it is there. Select foods that require no refrigeration, preparation or cooking, and little or no water. The following items are suggested:
- Ready-to-eat canned meals, meats, fruits, and vegetables.
- Canned juices.
- High-energy foods (granola bars, energy bars, etc.)
- Include usual non-prescription medications that you take, including pain relievers, stomach remedies, etc.
- If you use prescription medications, keep at least a three-day supply on hand.
- First Aid Supplies
More Information can be found at the American Red Cross web site (www.redcross.org).