Environmental Health & Safety (EH&S) monitors weather conditions through the use of a site specific weather monitoring service. EH&S will make notifications in the event that severe weather is approaching the university.
If severe weather catches you outside:
- Try to get inside a building.
- If this isn’t possible:
- Get into a low lying area, such as a ditch or depression
- Lie face down
- Cover your head.
If you can get indoors before severe weather arrives:
- Get to a sheltered area within the building, preferably one where there are no windows or materials that can become projectiles.
- For a tornado, seek cover in a low area of the building, get under a table or desk, and remain there until the danger has passed.
- For emergencies involving flooding, go to a high part of the building and take cover as needed.
- Do not enter flooded areas. There could be unseen dangers, such as raw sewage, live power, or open holes that you could fall into.