Hostage Situation-Environmental Health & Safety - Carnegie Mellon University
If you hear or see a hostage situation:
- Immediately remove yourself from danger.
- Notify the police by calling 8-2323 or 412-268-2323 and providing:
- Location of incident
- Number and description of hostage takers
- Number of hostages
- Your name, location and phone number
If you are taken hostage:
- Remain calm, be polite and cooperate with your captors.
- DO NOT attempt escape unless there is an extremely good chance of survival.
- Speak normally. DO NOT complain, avoid being belligerent and comply with instructions.
- DO NOT draw attention to yourself with sudden body movements, statements, comments or hostile looks.
- Observe the captors and try to memorize their physical traits or other details that can help provide a description.
- Try to establish a relationship with your captors and get to know them. Captors are less likely to harm you if they respect you.
- If forced to present terrorist demands to authorities, state clearly that the demands are from your captors. Avoid making a plea on your own behalf.
- Try to stay low to the ground or behind cover away from windows or doors.