Gunman-Environmental Health & Safety - Carnegie Mellon University
If a gunman is outside your building:
- Proceed to a room that can be locked, shut off lights and computer monitors, lock all doors and windows and stay out of sight.
- Silence cell phones.
- Take cover under anything available (tables, desks, etc.).
- One person in the room should call 8-2323 or 412-268-2323.
- If shots are heard, do not go to investigate their source.
- Do not leave until given instructions to do so by a uniformed police officer.
If a gunman is in the same building as you:
- If the room that you are in can be locked, follow the same procedures listed above.
- If your room cannot be locked, determine if there is a nearby location that can be reached safely and secured or, if you can, safely exit the building. If the room cannot be locked and it is not safe to leave, barricade the door using file cabinets, furniture, or anything else that is available.
If a gunman enters your office or classroom:
- Dial 8-2323 if possible and give your location. If you cannot speak, leave the line open so the police can listen to what is taking place.
- Only as a last resort should you attempt to overpower the shooter with force.
- If shooting begins, play dead. This may fool the gunman into thinking you are already a victim.
- If the shooter leaves the area, lock the door and call 8-2323 or 412-268-2323 to provide information to the police. If it is not possible to lock the door, consider relocating to a safe area ONLY if you can do so safely.