In the unlikely event of an active shooter on campus, the following steps should be taken:
RUN -If there is an accessible escape path, attempt to evacuate the premises.
- Plan escape routes in advance.
- Run away from the sounds of gunfire.
- Do not stop and gather personal belongings.
- Warn others, but do not wait for them.
- When you get to a safe place, call University Police at 412-268-2323.
HIDE - If evacuation is not possible, find a place to hide.
- Close and lock the door.
- Turn off the lights, TV, radio, and all phone ringers.
- Block the door with heavy furniture/objects.
- Take cover under anything available that offers concealment and protection.
- Prepare to fight to save your life.
- Visually search your room for anything that can be used as a weapon.
- If you hear the shooter attempting to get through the door, position yourself to attack and injure/disarm him immediately as entry begins.