Evacuation Instructions and Assembly Areas-Environmental Health & Safety - Carnegie Mellon University
Evacuation Instructions & Assembly Areas
- City ordinance and university policy requires total evacuation if an alarm is sounding, with the exception of occupants of PPG-6. Those in PPG-6 should follow their building’s protocols, which normally will be to evacuate the floor the emergency is located on, plus the floor above and the floor below.
- Learn your evacuation routes and exits in advance. Know at least two ways out of your area.
- Exit quickly. Take coats, keys, and personal items with you.
- Do not use the elevators.
- Once outside, move away from the building to the designated assembly area so you can be accounted for. Do not return to the building when the alarm is turned off. Instead, wait for instructions that it is safe to do so.
- Use your personal vehicle to leave the campus area immediately. If you do not have access to a vehicle proceed to either Margaret Morrison Street or Schenley Drive at Flagstaff Hill, for transport to one of the following off-site evacuation centers.
- Heinz Field
- PAT East Liberty Garage
- Mt. Lebanon School District
- Those who are capable of walking should proceed to either Rodef Shalom Temple at Fifth Avenue and Morewood or Central Catholic High School on Fifth Avenue if they are available.
- Cyert Center staff should take the children to Forbes and Morewood, at the 28X bus pickup, where buses will evacuate them to a separate location. Childrens’ School personnel should proceed to the front of their building for pickup.