Satellite Accumulation Point Guidelines
- Hazardous waste containers must be in good condition and must not leak.
- Contents must be compatible with each other and the container.
- Use properly fitting screw caps, lined with a material that is chemically resistant to waste (do not use corks or rubber stoppers).
- Hazardous waste containers must be kept closed except when adding or removing waste. (Remove funnels after use.)
- Do not fill bottles to top, leave 10% expansion space.
- Clearly label containers "HAZARDOUS WASTE” and indicate contents.
- Remove or completely deface manufacturer's labels, if reusing bottles for waste
- Keep hazardous waste in secondary containment to prevent accidental release.
- *Secondary containment should be chemically resistant and be able to contain a leak of up to 10% (by volume) of the largest container.
- Hazardous waste can be accumulated up to 6 months, after which a request should be submitted for disposal and a new container started.
*Secondary containment may be obtained from the Environmental Health & Safety Office.