Biological Safety Trainings
Approximate time: 2.5 hours
Required: for all persons working biological agents and/or animals, either in a classroom or laboratory setting.
The training addresses the recommendations specified in the Biological Safety in Microbiological and Biomedical Laboratories (4th edition) published by the Centers for Disease Control and the requirements of Carnegie Mellon's Biological Safety Program. Also discussed are techniques to use bio hazardous agents so that hazards to workers and the environment are minimized.
Contact Andrew Lawson 412-268-8405
Approximate time: 1 hour
Required: Persons with reasonably anticipated skin, eye, mucous membrane, or parenteral contact with:
- Human blood · human blood components · products made from human blood.
- The following human body fluids: semen, vaginal secretions, cerebrospinal fluid, synovial fluid, pleural fluid, pericardial fluid, peritoneal fluid, amniotic fluid, saliva in dental procedures, any body fluid that is visibly contaminated with blood, and all body fluids in situations where it is difficult or impossible to differentiate between body fluids.
- Any unfixed tissue or organ (other than intact skin) from a human (living or dead); and · Human cell cultures, human tissue cultures, human organ cultures
- Bloodborne Pathogens (BBP) containing culture medium or other solutions.
- Blood, body fluids or other tissues from non-human primates.
- Blood, body fluids or other tissues from experimental animals infected with a BBP.