Year in Review
At Carnegie Mellon, the Dietrich College of Humanities and Social Sciences is the home for research and education centered on humanity. From how the brain gives rise to the mind, to how humans actually make decisions, to how they should make decisions, to how a collection of individual agents can form a society, to how societies have evolved over time from small tribes to great nations, to how languages and cultures vary and how they shape the human experience, to the amazing edifices of literature and science produced by these cultures, our college is the home to some of the most exciting interdisciplinary research and teaching in the world.
Our faculty do foundational and deep disciplinary research, collaborate across many disciplines, take on problems that are important to the world today, and share a passion for innovation in both research and teaching. Our students are trained in a wide array of disciplinary approaches, and they become involved in research early and often. They emerge from their experience at CMU able to communicate, think, learn, and understand the world in ways that will serve them for the rest of their lives.
This year in review is a sample of stories about the faculty, staff, students and alumni in the college that found their way to the CMU website, the local press or the national media. By any measure it is an impressive compilation. I am biased, I admit, but that it is a sample taken from a single year strikes me as nothing short of amazing.
The awards, honors, accomplishments, imaginative projects and general energy that jump off the pages to follow makes it clear that the Dietrich College is healthy and thriving.
- Richard Scheines
Dean, Dietrich College of Humanities and Social Sciences
Professor of Philosophy
Table of Contents:
- Message From the Dean
- Dietrich College of Humanities and Social Sciences Facts and Figures
- At the Top of Their Fields
- First-of-its-Kind Behavioral Economics, Policy and Organizations Major
- Thrilling and Innovative Research
- Value of Research Instilled From the Start
- Student Projects
- Capital One Competition Pairs Students With Alumni Mentors
- Taking International Relations to the Next Level
- Tartan Data Science Cup
- Impact Beyond the Classroom
- Language Lovers Find a Home in the Linguistics Program
- Forty Years of CMU Statistics and the National Academy of Sciences
- A Century of CMU Psychology
- The Many Ways to Study Latin America in the Dietrich College
- Joe Trotter and the Effects of CAUSE
- The Simon Initiative and CMU’s Digital Education Revolution
- Dietrich College Entrepreneurs Speaker Series
- Alumni Spotlights
- News and Notes
- Future Discoveries in Progress
- Dietrich College in the News
- Ten (more) Things To Love About the Dietrich College