OverviewA TESOL (Teaching of English to Speakers of Other Languages) Certificate is a qualification commonly obtained to enhance teaching opportunities abroad. It functions specifically in this manner for students concentrating in ESL (English as a Second Language) in the Masters in Applied Second-Language Acquisition program.
Students should indicate their intention to work toward the Certificate to the MA Program Director during the first advising meeting after arrival on campus in the fall semester. Current students in the MA and the PhD in SLA programs also have the option of completing the sequence of courses required to obtain the Certificate. They should be in touch with their current advisor and the MA Program Director for information.
Non-native speakers of English in either program wishing to complete the Certificate must demonstrate advanced-high English proficiency through the Oral Proficiency Interview.
Certificate courses (7)
- *Teaching Methodologies for the Foreign Language Classroom (82-793)
- *Teaching Modern Languages and Cultures I (82-893)
- *Teaching Modern Languages and Cultures II (82-894)
- *Second Language Acquisition: Theories and Research (82-783)
- *Language Acquisition and Technology (82-888)
- Issues in TESOL
- Approved Elective in English/ESL/Linguistics
*indicates courses already required in the MA in Applied SLA