MA in Applied SLA - Admissions Information
Prospective students include holders of undergraduate degrees with three profiles: native speakers of English with a major in foreign language studies, native speakers of English with humanities degrees and second-language experience, and international students with degrees in humanities and language-related fields. We admit students intending to teach in one of the program languages—Chinese, English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, and Spanish.
Application deadline: February 2, 2015
Notification of initial acceptance: February 20
Deadline for receipt of OPI results (see below): March 17
Notification of final acceptance into program: March 20
Deadline for student notification of intention to attend: April 1
For application inquiries past the deadline contact the Program Director.
Applicants are expected to submit:
- A completed online application by February 3
- A personal statement of professional interests and career goals
- A Curriculum Vitae
- Current (within 2 years) GRE scores. The GRE requirement is waived for current Carnegie Mellon students and alumni. There is no minimum requirement but admission is competitive. Students should use the University Code 2074 to submit GRE scores. Department codes are not required.
- A current (within 2 years) TOEFL score if you speak English as an additional language. There is no minimum requirement but we are guided by the university recommendation of 100 for MA programs. Students should use the University Code 2074 to submit TOEFL scores. Department codes are not required.
- A three-minute unscripted audio recording in the language in which you intend to teach describing both your language experience and goals. Recordings should be in MP3 or WAV format, labeled with your name.
- Transcripts from undergraduate and previous graduate study
- Three letters of recommendation from people familiar with your academic and professional work
- Two academic writing samples (2-3 pages in length), one in English and one in the language in which you intend to teach (if not English)
- The application fee for the MA in Applied Second Language Acquisition program is $50. You may pay the fee by credit card, check, or money order. Credit card instructions will be given when you submit your application. If you do not want to pay by credit card, you may pay by a check or money order drawn on a U.S. bank and made payable to Carnegie Mellon University. Please include your User ID on the check or money order and mail to Vera Lampley, Graduate Programs Coordinator at this address. Do NOT send cash. Your application is not considered complete until the fee has been received.
- Skype interviews with members of the MA Steering Committee may be requested.
Upon initial acceptance into the program, you will be required to furnish proof of proficiency in the language you intend to teach (if not a native speaker) via the Oral Proficiency Exam administered by Language Testing International. The desired level is Advanced High, though candidates scoring at the Advanced Mid or Advanced Low level can be admitted if they agree to attend an approved immersion program in the summer preceding their MA year. This immersion, if required, will be partially subsidized by the MA program.