M.A. in Applied SLA - Admissions Information
Prospective students include holders of undergraduate degrees with three profiles: native speakers of English with a major in foreign language studies, native speakers of English with humanities degrees and second-language experience, and international students with degrees in humanities and language-related fields. We admit students intending to teach in one of the program languages—Chinese, English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, and Spanish.
Applications open: December 1
Application deadline: February 3, 2017
Notification of initial acceptance: February 25
Deadline for interview (if necessary - see below): March 4
Notification of final acceptance into program: March 11
Deadline for student notification of intention to attend: March 25
For application inquiries past the deadline contact the Program Director.
Applicants are expected to submit the following:
- A completed online application by February 1
- A personal statement of professional interests and career goals
- A Curriculum Vitae
- Current (within 2 years) GRE scores. The GRE requirement is waived for current Carnegie Mellon students and alumni. There is no minimum requirement, but admission is competitive. Students should use the University Code 2074 to submit GRE scores. Department codes are not required.
- A current (within 2 years) TOEFL score if you speak English as an additional language. There is no minimum requirement, but we are guided by the university recommendation of 100 for MA programs. Students should use the University Code 2074 to submit TOEFL scores. Department codes are not required.
- A three-minute unscripted audio recording in the language in which you intend to teach describing both your language experience and goals. Recordings should be in MP3 or WAV format, labeled with your name.
- Transcripts from undergraduate and previous graduate study
- Three letters of recommendation from people familiar with your academic and professional work
- Two academic writing samples (2-3 pages in length), one in English and one in the language in which you intend to teach (if not English)
- The application fee for the M.A. in Applied Second Language Acquisition program is $50. You may pay by credit card, check, or money order. Credit card instructions will be given when you submit your application. If you do not want to pay by credit card, you may pay by a check or money order drawn on a U.S. bank and made payable to Carnegie Mellon University. Please include your User ID on the check or money order and mail to Vera Lampley, Graduate Programs Coordinator, at this address. Do NOT send cash. Your application is not considered complete until the fee has been received.
- Skype interviews with members of the M.A. Steering Committee may be requested.
Upon initial acceptance into the program, if you are not a native speaker of the language in which you intend to teach, you will be interviewed (via videoconference) by a Carnegie Mellon faculty member. The purpose of the interview is to evaluate your capacity to teach undergraduate students during the practicum portion of the program. For reference, the approximate desired level is Advanced High on the ACTFL Oral Proficiency scale.