Create a Group
Requests for a dynamic group, a group built from a common trait within the LDAP directory, should be made through email@example.com. For a list of dynamic groups, select the Show Dynamic Groups link. A list of groups you are a member of will display.
IMPORTANT: You must have a CMUname for your Andrew account before you can create a group. A CMUname is a personalized mailing address where people can send you mail to YourCMUname@cmu.edu rather than userID@andrew.cmu.edu. For more information on creating a CMUname, see the Setting a CMUname document.
- Group names always start with the owner's CMUname followed by a colon.
- The next part of the name can be selected by the owner but should be descriptive of the group. For example, a group of John Doe's friends might be named jdoe:friends.
- This second portion of the group name must be under 100 characters and does not allow the comma (,), equal sign (=), or spaces. Due to future plans for Carnegie Mellon Groups, we also recommend that you not include the "at sign" (@) as part of the name.
- Group names are not case sensitive.
- Static groups that are associated with a dynamic group must have the same name as the dynamic group followed by the appropriate suffix (e.g., :cached, :whitelist, :blacklist). Please see Types of Groups in the What is a Carnegie Mellon Group? document for a complete explanation of cached, whitelist and blacklist groups.
- You must OWN the associated dynamic group to create a whitelist or blacklist group.
- Cached groups cannot be created. They are automatically created when you request a dynamic group.
Steps to Create a Static Group
- From the Select a group owner drop-down list, select your CMUname or the CMUname assigned to your department or organization. The CMUname will be the prefix for your Carnegie Mellon Group name.
Note: Typically, faculty, staff and students only own one CMUname. However, department administrators and some staff may own a CMUname that represents a group or department. In these cases, the Select a group owner drop-down list will contain more than one CMUname.
- Type your group name in the Enter a Group Name field. The CMUname you selected in step 1 is automatically the prefix for the name. See detailed rules in the Group Naming Conventions section above.
For example, type friends: to create the group jdoe:friends.
- Click Create. The Create Group Results page displays. If the group was successfully created a View Group link displays on this page. Click View Group to modify your group.
- From the Group Details page, click Edit Group. See the Modify a Group section for a detailed description of each field.
Last Updated: 9/10/08