Determine OS Version: 32 vs 64 bit
To determine if your Intel-based PC is running the 32 or 64 bit version of Windows, follow the appropriate steps below.
Windows 7 and Windows Vista
- Click Start > Control Panel > System and Maintenance.
- Click System. A screen similar to the following appears. To determine if your opating system is the 32 or 64-bit version, see System type.
- Click Start > Run. Enter winmsd.exe in the text box and click OK.
- A screen similar to the following appears. Locate "Processor."
- 32 bit OS versions - The value indicated next to Processor starts with x86.
- 64 bit OS versions - The value indicated next to Processor starts with ia64 or AMD64.
Last Updated: 2/11/13