Mac OS X Licensing
Computing Services maintains a site license for Mac OS X. Administrative/academic departments and DSP customers are eligible to acquire Mac OS X through this license.
- DSP Customers: To acquire Mac OS X, DSP customers should contact their DSP consultant at 412-268-6959 or via email to email@example.com.
- Administrative Departments with Apple Maintenance (Faculty and Staff): Mac OS X can be installed only on university-owned equipment and entitles you to perpetual software rights. The cost is $25 per seat. To obtain a seat, complete the Mac OS X request form.
- All Others: These individuals are not covered by the Computing Services site license. A copy of Mac OS X can be downloaded from the the Mac App Store.
Supported Operating Systems
Level of Support
|OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)
||Support Status Page
|OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)
|OS X 10.7 (Lion)
Level of Support
Computing Services supports the usage of the Mac OS X operating system and the configuration necessary for the systems to function on the campus network. The Computing Services Help Center does not perform operating system installations, repairs or restores and does not install drivers.
- Students should contact their academic department to determine their recommended operating system(s).
- Operating system upgrade decision/recommendations for faculty and staff members should be referred to the departmental computing administrator or functional business group lead.
Hardware & Peripherals:
Computing Services does not support specific hardware, peripherals, installation or the configuration of such devices. In most cases, hardware devices should be "plug & play," and/or should have appropriate drivers and support provided by the vendor.
Due to the variety of printers available, Computing Services limits support for printing from Mac OS X to Computing Services public printers only; see Andrew Printing.
Network services for Mac OS X should be configured using the instructions provided on the Connecting pages.
Last Updated: 8/1/13